Can't delete files

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Ilse Maree, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Ilse Maree

Ilse Maree

Good day everyone

I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 OS.

For some reason I cannot delete PDF (most of them anyway) files that I have created myself i.e. a word document that I have saved or converted to pdf, scanned documents (scanned to pdf) and some word documents.

I also can't seem to find any help for this anywhere and the help that was available I have tried to no avail. I am desperate to get rid of all the unwanted files (pdfs) on laptop but no joy.

I hope there is someone who can assist?

Ilse Maree, Aug 12, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Ilse Maree

Ian Administrator

Hi Ilse, welcome to the forums :). What error message do you get when you try to delete the PDF files? That will help us find the problem :).

Ian, Aug 12, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Ilse Maree

Ilse Maree

Hi Ian - it says that the "action can't be completed because the file is open in another application" which makes absolutely no sense because it says the same even after I have restarted my PC and no applications have been running. I have had this problem before on my old laptop on occassions (windows 7) but normally I was able to remove the files after a restart. In this instance nothing helps

Ilse Maree, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Ilse Maree

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Typically when I have this type of issue, I'll first try.....
    Rebooting the machine into safe mode (hold the shift key while clicking restart)
    If that doesn't get the job done the I use a program called Unlocker from here http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/
    If that still doesn't do it then I just boot with a Linux Distro Live CD and delete it that way....... now that has never failed me.

Trouble, Aug 12, 2015
    Ian likes this.
  5. Ilse Maree

Ian Administrator

Unlocker is a great app - I've not had to use it for a while, but it has got me out of a tight spot a couple of times. Big thumbs up :).

Ian, Aug 14, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question