Can I use Windows 7 drivers in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Splicer, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Splicer

Splicer

I'm looking at purchasing a new computer in the next quarter, so it will be only a short while before Windows 8 is released. I don't suppose it will be a problem to get new Windows 8 compatible drivers for my new hardware, but what about things like my printer and scanner? They are older and getting a Windows 7 driver took some time. Will the Windows 7 driver work with Windows 8?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give!

Splicer, Feb 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Splicer

davehc

So far, the reports on backward compatibility are good. I have pushed Windows 8 to the limit on two or three computers, from an "oldie" laptop to a reasonably up-to-date stationary. So far I have not had any problems with drivers. My oldest printer, for example, is an HP 1320n. It set itself up on switch on.

davehc, Feb 16, 2012
    efraz likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Splicer

Splicer

So no need to even install any drivers manually? That's good news.

I guess I will find out how my old scanner does when I plug it in. Windows 7 doesn't automatically install drivers for it, but perhaps Windows 8 will. Time will tell!

Splicer, Feb 17, 2012
  4. Splicer

davehc

LOL. I have often had problems with scanner installation - right back to XP!!!

davehc, Feb 17, 2012
  5. Splicer

habibk20

Don't worry Windows 8 will support all hardware released prior to its Launch...

habibk20, Sep 11, 2012
  6. Splicer

socraticsilliness

I've had difficulty (unresolved) with disabling the touch pad. The ability to turn it off/on disappeared with the upgrade from Win7 to Win8. The Toshiba download will extract, but Win8 won't run it.

socraticsilliness, Nov 15, 2012
  7. Splicer

lucasbytegenius

All drivers that worked on Windows 7 should work fine on Windows 8. Maybe you have to run a few as an administrator or in compatibility mode to run them though.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 15, 2012
  8. Splicer

crane2

Definitely wrong. win8 will not work with the win7 drivers for usb 3; the update assistant also say that there will be problems.

Any win8 problem with usb 3 is microsoft's fault as they have officially claimed responsibility for doing the usb 3 drivers. Still haven't seen any microsoft acknowledgement for the usb 3 problems.

crane2, Jan 1, 2013
    Nibiru2012 likes this.
  9. Splicer

lucasbytegenius

All the Windows 7 drivers I've tried to use with Windows 8 have worked. I don't know what your problem is.

lucasbytegenius, Jan 9, 2013
  10. Splicer

crane2

Have you tried the generic usb 3 drivers from microsoft instead of the intel driver which are not available for win8? I tried to do the intel win7 usb 3 driver & got not compatible msg.

Looks like we need to be very specific regarding which driver one talks about instead of just "all" drivers. "Some" win7 drivers work & some don't; could be just microsoft coded drivers don't work in some instances.

crane2, Jan 9, 2013
  11. Splicer

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I still had to install the Etron USB 3.0 drivers for my Etron chipset on my motherboard even though MS provides native USB 3.0 drivers with Windows 8. One must still use the latest, preferably for Windows 8, USB 3.0 drivers. The two drivers work in conjunction with each other to provide the best possible USB 3.0 experience.

lucasbytesgenius stated:
    That statement is somewhat disingenuous. Sure the OS may work fine with Windows 7 drivers, but it is highly advisable to use drivers specifically designed for the Windows 8 OS. If Windows 7 drivers worked perfect for Windows 8 then why did Intel, AMD, Radeon, Nvidia, Realtek, Etron, Marvell, and other chipset makers updated their drivers for the Windows 8 OS? Perhaps your using the Windows 7 drivers may be the cause of the issues you're complaining about?

Nibiru2012, Jan 10, 2013
  12. Splicer

lucasbytegenius

I said that in case those manufacturers haven't updated their drivers for Windows 8. You should always use the latest drivers for your hardware unless those updated drivers have problems or they're not available for your OS version.

lucasbytegenius, Jan 10, 2013
  13. Splicer

MisterRay97

No! Windows 8 may or may not support your Windows 7 drivers. I tried installing a Windows 7 Bluetooth driver on my Windows 8 laptop but I ended up with blue screen of death. I did a system restore and downloaded the Windows 8 64-bit compatible Bluetooth driver from my laptop manufacturer's site and it works fine now. :confused:

Some Windows 7 drivers, like my Fn key drivers, run on Windows 8, but not properly. I'm planning to download the latest Windows 8 drivers for these so that it works good. ;)

I don't recommend installing Windows 7 drivers onto a Windows 8 device!

MisterRay97, Mar 25, 2013
  14. Splicer

RicoonDK

No, you don’t recommend, but at times you can be forced to use old drivers if they haven’t been updated at all. I’ve recently installed Windows 8 on a 7 year old Lenovo Laptop. Windows found most of the drivers itself, but they weren’t up-to-date or anything. Drivers from 2008 still floats around the windows driver update. Besides, I had to use the Nvidia Driver for Windows Vista to get my resolution back.
    Bottom line, it can work but no guarantee before you have tried

RicoonDK, Mar 31, 2013
    MisterRay97 likes this.
  15. Splicer

Andrew010

I knew that installing Windows 7 drivers works in Windows 8. I had a laptop with Windows 7 drivers; installed Windows 8 and the drivers worked perfectly!

Andrew010, Apr 3, 2013
  16. Splicer

MedicAlert

I'm sure some drivers from Windows 7 would work in Windows 8 as it worked from the Vista Drivers to the Windows 7 back in the day. :p

But I'd really wait until the actually OEM sends out a fixed driver made for that certain OS.

MedicAlert, Apr 5, 2013
  17. Splicer

crazycroc

You shouldn't really need to worry much about drivers, Windows 8 should be able to install them the same way Windows 7 did through Windows update.

crazycroc, May 31, 2013
  18. Splicer

adamsmith

so you mean there is no need for additional drivers if you switch from Win 7 to 8 .. it's really good but have anyone checked it .. is it working properly.. please quote right here..

adamsmith, Jun 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question