BSOD chkdsk /f /r stuck at 10%

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by brucewayne79, Dec 28, 2013.

1. brucewayne79

brucewayne79

I have a Lenovo y500 with a 2.6 ghz processor and 1TB hard drive. Several days ago I got BSOD so I ran chkdsk and it's been stuck at 10% for 72 hours. I can tell the computer is still running but is there a way to safely stop chkdsk?

brucewayne79, Dec 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. brucewayne79

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    As far as I know the answer is NO.
    Chkdsk with the /R switch is attempting to perform a data integrity check and trying to recover any bits from potentially bad sectors. This includes critical system files that may be further corrupted if you attempt to interrupt the process.
    If you still see activity (hard drive light on or flashing) then it is still busy doing its' job.
    Don't rely to heavily on the percentage indicator as a measure of progress as sometimes that doesn't update as you might expect.
    Chkdsk on a 1 terabyte drive can take a long time and if the drive has some bad areas then the time can easily increase exponentially.
    Can you see what stage you are on (there should be five stages in total)? Is there any other indicators that some progress is being made ( a sector count relative to total sectors being examined)?
    72 hours seems an inordinate length of time but I suspect any attempt by you to interrupt the process may result in more problems.
    You don't mention but I was wondering what about the Blue Screen prompted you to run a Chkdsk?

Trouble, Dec 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. brucewayne79

brucewayne79

On the BSOD it said there was a kernel data inpage error and to check online for solutions. I found that chkdsk was the thing to do. It doesn't say what stage it is at just that it is at 10% on C drive.

4. brucewayne79

How about a hard disk drive indicator light? Is it on steady or flashing?
    Is there any unusual noise coming from the hard disk, any clicking or unusual vibration?
    How old is the system? What Operating System is installed? Do you have a good recent backup of critical data?

Trouble, Dec 28, 2013
  5. brucewayne79

brucewayne79

I have windows 8 and I bought my laptop 2 months ago brand new. There is no hard drive indicator light. Before I ran the chkdsk it did make a clicking sound when I would turn the laptop off. That started a day before I ran the chkdsk.

6. brucewayne79

Virtually all laptops have some kind of light that indicates hard disk drive activity. Perhaps check closely under the edge of the base in front or look at your documentation to see if you in fact may have one.

Otherwise you may need to pursue warranty options. A two month old laptop shouldn't be giving you this kind of grief.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    Trouble, Dec 28, 2013
  7. brucewayne79

brucewayne79

The y500 doesn't come with a hdd light. And yes it is looking like I will have to take it in to be looked at. Thank you for your help.

8. brucewayne79

The first thing they are likely to do.... or attempt to do, is a factory reset using the recovery partition on the hard drive (if that is even possible), which will wipe the drive's current content with respect to the C:\ partition.

So if you have any critical data, you may want to see if you can boot from one of the Live Linux distro CDs and see if you can view any of the content on the problem drive and perhaps copy off anything important to some external media (like a USB hard drive).

Once your data is safe you may want to try performing a factory reset yourself. Check your documentation regarding "One Key Recovery", supposedly another button adjacent to the start button you use to turn it on.
    Good luck and keep us posted as to how you progress.

Trouble, Dec 28, 2013
  9. brucewayne79

voon Y500 pro

Dear brucewayne79,
    Y500 can safely restart by hold power button to force off the computer.
    When you start the computer a word will came out:"press any button to skip within( 5 s)
    just press any button in that time
    hope this will help you :)

voon Y500 pro, Nov 5, 2014
  10. brucewayne79

Shintaro Moderator

How did you go with this?
    I would suggest that your disk has a problem that chkdsk cannot resolve. maybe try Spinrite.

Shintaro, Dec 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question