BSOD bootup problem

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by Conor, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Conor

Conor

I can not boot up in safe mode in my BSOD problem so I can not provide the mini dump files yet, only if you can help me figure out how to boot my laptop in safe mode. I have been posting at the official Microsoft community page to help me with the problem and we are still working on it on how to get my laptop to boot up in safe mode, so I can send the mini dump files to them. here is a link to the Microsoft community page:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ery-boot/d63d1216-5ba8-4a73-8e0c-3adf9a0bd4c6

most of the problem description is in the Microsoft community page and my laptop's specs is also in the Microsoft community page.

the BSOD error code I have is: 0xc0000001
    and at the bottom of the screen, there is two options of trying to bootup: Press Enter to try again and Press F8 for Startup Settings.
    now I have been trying the F8 one and using the safe modes there, but that has not worked.
    as I have said, other information on this issue is in the Microsoft community page.

hopefully you can resolve this matter

Conor, Aug 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Conor

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

It would seem that we are arriving a little late to the party (August 23rd was your OP on the other forum) and it looks like you've received some help on the other forum with which at one point it looks like you were able to get the machine to boot and load a desktop and or start screen. Now it seems you may be back to square one again with a new but maybe similar Blue Screen issue.

You original post on that other forum stated that you are currently running Windows 8.1 Preview, which of course is pre-release software and not generally in use publicly so finding someone with advanced troubleshooting expertise might be a bit difficult at this time.

It would seem that the operating system has experienced some type of data corruption which could be due to any number of causes (bad memory, a failing hard disk, or other hardware component that may be faulty).

Since this is a reasonably recent install have you considered, in the interest of getting your machine back to a stable state, using one of the Linux Distro's Live CDs to boot your machine and then copying off any and all critical data such as documents, music, pictures, and email to an external resource and then using the HP Recovery Utility to perform a factory reset of your laptop? Usually this can be evoked by tapping the F11 key immediately upon booting your laptop. You may want to Google it to confirm as your laptop may require a different key combination.

Trouble, Aug 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Conor

Conor

if i am going to do a factory reset, will my laptop try reseting to windows 7? i don't know if i mentioned it in the other forum but i have upgraded my os from windows 7 to windows 8 pro. also i do have a external backup hardrive i have done last month

also could you tell me the process of the Linux Distro's Live CDs please?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    Conor, Aug 31, 2013
  4. Conor

1. If your laptop came pre-intstalled with Windows 7, then yes a factory reset would put you back to Windows 7.
    2, A very good explanation of a typical LIVE CD environment (how to and why to) can be found here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Trouble, Aug 31, 2013
  5. Conor

Conor

if i do a factory reset, will the product key on the windows 8 pro upgrade still be valid to use?

Conor, Aug 31, 2013
  6. Conor

Yes.... absolutely. If you purchased a retail upgrade key through Microsoft then all you should need to get you back to Windows 8 is the email they send as part of the confirmation process for the transaction.

Trouble, Aug 31, 2013
  7. Conor

Conor

so if i did i whole factory reset to windows 7, and then upgraded to windows 8 pro, restore all my files from my backups, my laptop will be back to normal? but there is one thing, this whole trouble was caused from me looking for ways to solve my problem with my wifi adapter. i have a feeling that when i do the factory reset, my wifi adapter wont work correctly again. if you have any advice on this situation, it will be very helpful.

Conor, Aug 31, 2013
  8. Conor

No idea which WiFi adapter you are talking about, but....
    If it is the factory adapter that came pre-installed on your system and it does not work after performing a factory reset (which should install all the appropriate and correct drivers during the process), then I would suspect that there may be something physically wrong with the device and or the switch or keyboard combination / Fn Key that allows you to turn it on and off at will.

Trouble, Aug 31, 2013
  9. Conor

Conor

ralink rt5390 wifi adapter.

Conor, Aug 31, 2013
  10. Conor

http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php
    Yours is the second one down you should see......
    Click it, enter your name and email address (I just made up something to avoid spam) click the submit and the download should start.
    It says it works on.....
    Whether of not it will work on Windows 8.1 Preview I cannot say.

Trouble, Sep 1, 2013
  11. Conor

Conor

how do i reset my laptop to factory settings? i have tried doing it from the advanced startup from the installation disc, and it says to insert your installation disc or recovery media to start. i re-inserted my installation disc and that didn't work and i tried my windows 7 recovery discs i created when i first got my laptop last year. what disc do i need?

Conor, Sep 3, 2013
  12. Conor

Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot)

If Windows 7 does not open correctly, perform the following steps to recover the computer:

NOTE: If the recovery partition on the hard disk drive is not functioning correctly, this method does not work and an error message appears. If an error message indicates that System Recovery cannot be run from the startup screen, a set of recovery discs is needed to perform a system recovery. Follow the instructions listed in the section “Starting the recovery from recovery discs”.

1. Turn off the computer.
    2. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.
    3. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until Recovery Manager opens.
    SOURCE: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...c=en&product=5211676&tmp_track_link=ot_search

Trouble, Sep 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question