Bring Back Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets

Discussion in 'Customization' started by David B, Aug 9, 2013.

1. David B

David B

Hello everyone,

Whenever I first used Windows 7, I wasn't exactly keen on the desktop gadgets, but like many other things, I learned to love them, and now I want them back on Windows 8. The only one that I really want back is the CPU Meter, and everything else can go. Would anyone here happen to know how to bring them back to the classic desktop in Windows 8?​

David B, Aug 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. David B

vaibhav402

I agree. We need gadgets on Windows 8. I mean whose idea was it to remove them in the first place. I also like you, want the resource meter back. Also sticky notes which helped me a lot to organize and plan my day. And clock. I hate looking at the corner of the screen. I like having a clock in front of me so that I can just note the time quickly. They could have also convinced 3rd party devs to make gadgets. Steam could have made their gadgets for quick launch of games, VLC or Winamp could have also made a miniature gadget for a music player that takes up less screen real estate.

Edit: You can bring the Sticky Notes back on the screen by opening the Sticky notes application and adding it to start up applications. Don't know about the resource meter.

vaibhav402, Aug 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. David B

bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522, Aug 19, 2013
  4. David B

davehc

davehc, Aug 19, 2013
  5. David B

bassfisher6522

Keep in mind what?

bassfisher6522, Aug 19, 2013
  6. David B

davehc

?. You remarked on the MS assessment of an increased security risk with an explanatory link?

The security risk still exists, but so do many other instances, in any OS. It is up to the potential user whether or not he heeds the warnings. I am a bad example, I tend not to! I have my own protection.

davehc, Aug 20, 2013
  7. David B

vaibhav402

Installing 3rd Party applications are also risky and could be a potential security risk. Should we stop that too? This is really a bad excuse to remove productive features. My take is that MS wanted to shoe horn the Metro UI on everyone. I understand what they were going for : Combining notebooks and tablets. But they should have given the option of changing between styles. I do not buy the whole "Security Threat" excuse.

vaibhav402, Aug 20, 2013
  8. David B

davehc

Nothing is about to change. Windows 8, in desktop mode, is a slightly better performer than Windows 7 - that is on my own observation. But if Windows 8 does disatisfy you in its present state, why not stay with 7.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    davehc, Aug 20, 2013
  9. David B

David B

David B, Aug 20, 2013
  10. David B

airplayne

I would love to see the gadgets back, albeit if they find a way to improve their performance (i.e., make them less of a drag on resources). I spend most of my time in the desktop than any other "app" so having the gadgets back would be great.

airplayne, Aug 27, 2013
  11. David B

davehc

Read my first post and try the link. The gadgets do not interest me, but, for curiosity, I have used it and assure you it works, without complications.

davehc, Aug 28, 2013
  12. David B

David B

Yeah, I only have two apps installed on Windows 8 that I use, the rest are traditional desktop applications. I use the new Microsoft Minesweeper app, and the Blu Graphing Calculator. All other apps are garbage as far as I am concerned.

David B, Aug 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question