Boot To Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by David B, Aug 10, 2013.

1. David B

David B

Hello,

I already know that Windows 8 allows you to boot to reboot into safe mode through the PC Settings app, but how can I reconfigure my computer so that the Shift key method works again. In the past, there have been times when my computer won't even boot in regular mode, so I had to do it in Safe Mode to clean it up. If I end up in this situation with Windows 8, I am in major trouble because there is no way to get to Safe Mode without first booting to regular mode. Does anyone have any suggestion for what I can do to prepare for this should I need it?​

David B, Aug 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. David B

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Yes.... you can of course prepare for it in advance by following the procedure outlined here http://www.maketecheasier.com/add-safe-mode-to-the-windows-8-boot-menu/2012/08/31
    Which if done properly will add a Safe Mode boot option to your everyday Windows 8 boot menu.
    But..... in case you can't or don't want to do something like this or you're stuck and need a method right now to get into safe mode, there is a method that I have tried and tested which seems to work reliably every time.

Boot into the Windows 8 Recovery Environment either by using a Recovery Disk that you've made, or the original Installation Media.
    Choose Repair, Advanced Troubleshooting, Command Prompt and type
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    reboot your PC (remove the DVD) and tap the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.
    Of course you may want to try it in advance to confirm that it does work for you.

Now to return your boot menu to normal
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

NOTE: This can be done from within the OS from an elevated command prompt..... but you seemed to want or need something you can use on a machine that won't boot normally, that's why I threw in the bit about booting from the boot media..... And why I suggest actually trying it from the Recovery Disk or Install Media before hand just to confirm that it works for you. Let us know.
    Regards
    Randy

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    Trouble, Aug 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. David B

David B

Okay, thank you for the detailed response. I have noticed in the past that the advanced boot menu allows you to boot to the command prompt. I will certainly give this a try, and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

David B, Aug 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question