Blue

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Trouble, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Trouble, Mar 25, 2013
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

davehc

Couldn't restrain my curiosity. I had to download and have a look. Too early for comment. It is pretty much barebones at the moment. I couldn't detect any improvement in any aspect of performance. - so far.

davehc, Mar 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

Me too Dave.
    Always want to be the first kid on my block.
    I have the 32bit version (the only one I could get my hands on) running in a Hyper-V VM.
    Nothing special that I can see so far.... still early days I know.
    IE 11 (metro / modern) looks pretty much the same as IE 10. The desktop verson looks even more plain, if that's even possible.
    I suppose the 50 / 50 snap is more or less handy, if you're big into metro apps.
    And the new start screen takes a minute or two, to get used to.
    Moving tiles about seems to require a right click and your choosing "Customize". Maybe better as it prevents inadvertent moving of tiles, maybe worse as it requires an extra click.
    And if anyone figures out how to sort and move tiles about once you have chosen to make them the new improved even smaller size let me know as I am at least temporarily stumped. They seem to inhabit their own space and are a bit jumbled about and apparently want to stay that way.
    But it's new and I'm new at it, so with a bit more head-banging, I'll likely figure something out

Trouble, Mar 25, 2013
  4. Trouble

Tchégéda

Good. IE11 "I presume it's a minor version because it's very fast" and Windows blue probably is an service pack. Anyway a small update of modern UI can not hurt.

Tchégéda, Mar 27, 2013
  5. Trouble

IndiePoster

Thanks for sharing this. Looks interesting, I will try this when I get the chance.

IndiePoster, Mar 29, 2013
  6. Trouble

MisterRay97

I have researched about this. Windows Blue may be the next upgrade of Windows 8. It has more precision over the customization of tiles (more like Windows Phone 8) and also a bit different desktop to match the Modern UI. I don't know when its release date will be officially announced. Looking forward to Windows Blue! :)

MisterRay97, Mar 31, 2013
  7. Trouble

Andrew010

I can't wait to get Windows Blue! I heard it's like a service pack for Windows 8 and it makes Windows 8 much better, so I'm waiting for it!

Andrew010, Apr 3, 2013
  8. Trouble

davehc

Seems the latest rumour is it will be called Windows 8.1

davehc, Apr 3, 2013
  9. Trouble

Ian Administrator

I'll be interested to know if it's effectively a service pack for existing 8 users (i.e free), of if they'll charge for these updates?

Ian, Apr 3, 2013
  10. Trouble

MisterRay97

I guess it'd be free. I don't think they would charge money for an update.

Yes, I've heard that too. It might be called Windows 8.1 along with the similar version number for Windows Phone i.e. Windows Phone 8.1

Waiting for this project to release. I hope it makes Windows 8 better.

MisterRay97, Apr 5, 2013
  11. Trouble

davehc

There is, at this stage, only speculation based on a single leaked, and very early, version.
    One rumour, of which those interested should be wary, is that the service pack has clobbered most of the third party start menus.
    Yes, & no. I understand that parts of the kernel have been amended, and on or two program paths have naturally followed. All it will need is for those useful writers of the start menus, to amend them a little. Hopefully no big deal for them?

davehc, Apr 6, 2013
  12. Trouble

ChristineBCW

The Start Menu structure still exists but we'll see that being removed in Win9, and likely Win10 will remove the Desktop, replaced by the Apps-filled Start Screen. Move everything to touch, forego keyboards and everyone can save the world with their smart phones like James Bond does. I can't wait to see Bond James Bond actually compile a program via touch.

ChristineBCW, Apr 6, 2013
  13. Trouble

Victor Leigh

Oh no, here we go again. We have hardly got used to the Windows 8 interface and Microsoft is already cooking up another Windows. Maybe they should create some kind of subscription service where all the subscribers can have access to all the latest Windows for a small monthly sum of money.

Victor Leigh, Apr 14, 2013
  14. Trouble

Be careful what you wish for. I suspect that, that is exactly what is in our future.

Trouble, Apr 14, 2013
  15. Trouble

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I would much prefer to pay for a subscription service than a massive one expense for an OS that I may not even continue to use. If I buy Windows 10 or something for €150 one day and three months later decide I am going to grow my beard out and switch all my machines to Linux, then it's pretty much bye-bye €150. A subscription service provides a much lower threshold also for people like Mac users to install the latest Windows to see what it is about. This way you pay for what you actually need and use. I actually think their Office 365 subscription services are awesome; I used them for a while and was really happy with them, but since Ballmer is so steadfastly against Office for iPad, I really no longer have much desire to keep feeding them my money.

Core, Apr 14, 2013
  16. Trouble

I guess that sort of thing depends on a particular model.
    From what I can see from the small amount of evidence that is out there, the real break comes on licensing of 5 computers or more. In some instances that may be your only subscription option, 5 computers whether you need that many or not.
    I'm sort of old school and like actually owning my software, including the OS, But:
    If a subscription model comes along that offers a more attractive price point and I am getting the same bang for my buck in terms of quality then I'll be right there beside you, somewhere near the front of the line.

Trouble, Apr 14, 2013
  17. Trouble

Victor Leigh

Well, it might not be a bad idea actually. If the amount is small, then a lot of people may consider it. When they are subscribers, they may even try new products which they may normally not even give a second look.

Victor Leigh, Apr 14, 2013
  18. Trouble

MisterRay97

I don't think subscription would do. I wouldn't like Windows with monthly subscription. I like to pay everything at once; no wonder why I don't get EMIs.

MisterRay97, Apr 22, 2013
  19. Trouble

Victor Leigh

Well, that depends on whether you are fully committed to using Windows. If you are, then a subscription plan might work because it's kind of like savings, putting aside a little bit each month and being able to enjoy the latest version without looking around for some money to pay for it in a lump sum.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question