Blowing off some steam.......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by davidhk129, Jan 5, 2014.

1. davidhk129

davidhk129

First time ever I bought an Android tablet 4 days ago.
    Signed up with 2 Android Forums.
    They are totally useless.
    They can't or won't answer simple questions, such as .....
    1.Is it ok to run a tablet while it is charging.
    2.If I plug in a portable backup battery, can I continue to use the tablet, or do I have to wait.
    3.How to move installed apps to a micro 32GB sd card instead of storing them in the internal storage.

Other than chitchatting nonsensical, irrelevant gibberish, they can't make a single useful response.
    What a waste of time.

davidhk129, Jan 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. davidhk129

Ian Administrator

I can answer that first question for you - it's fine to use a tablet while it's charging :). I do it all the time and there are no issues with excess heat or battery problems - unlike the batteries of 10 years ago.

Ian, Jan 5, 2014
    davidhk129 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. davidhk129

davidhk129

Thank you.

davidhk129, Jan 5, 2014
  4. davidhk129

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

And depending on which version of Android your device is running. Each can be slightly different.
    Go to "Setting" and then "Apps". Tap an installed app from there and you should see various options like "Uninstall" Clear Cache" "Move to (SD Card if it is on "Device Storage" or Device Storage if it is already on the SD Card)

EDIT: You are also likely to be able to find a global setting for the "Default Write Disk" under Settings->Storage. Where you can choose to install apps to the SD card to begin with and avoid having to move them later.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Trouble, Jan 5, 2014
  5. davidhk129

davidhk129

Mine is a Lenovo IdeaTab A2109A, 1GB Memory, 16GB storage, 4.0 ICS which I upgraded it to 4.1 Jelly Bean.
    I have inserted a 32GB micro sd card, but I don't find ways to use it.

1. On a Hipstreet Flare2, there is an option to move apps to SD card. Not in this tablet.

Screenshot_2014-01-05-15-07-59.png

2. On Settings > Apps, it has Uninstall, Clear Data and Clear Cache. No Move to SD card option.

Screenshot_2014-01-05-15-18-37.png

davidhk129, Jan 5, 2014
  6. davidhk129

davidhk129

Update................
    I found out that there is a specific forum dedicated to my tablet's model series.... A2109 series.
    I signed up there and asked the question regarding micro sd card.
    I received a reply...........................
    "
    After you unmount the card, there's no option to do anything to the card because it's internally disconnected. Remove the card. Turn the phone off. Put the card back in. Boot into recovery (check the manual or the forum for which buttons to press - I don't have a Lenovo so I can't tell you). There's a "format" option in recovery (or should be). Format the card. Reboot and you should be able to move some apps to the card. (Not all apps can be moved.) "
    ...........................................................................................................................................................................

However I reached a point where I am not sure how to proceed.
    This was my reply to the advice...............

"I went ahead and followed your instructions.
    Unmount the card > turn off tablet > remount the card > press Volume Up + Power at the same time until I saw a image of an android> I had to stop because I didn't see Recovery option. What I saw on the screen were :
    Reboot system now
    Apply update from External storage
    Apply update from ADB
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition

Which one should I choose ? The 2nd one ? "
    ........................................................................................................................................................................

I am still waiting for a reply back from that forum.

davidhk129, Jan 6, 2014
  7. davidhk129

davidhk129

Final update and I'll put this thread to rest.
    For the possible benefit to other android tablet users.............

I received 2 replies from the same person :
    1. There's no App2sd for the A2109. External sd cards are for storing your personal documents, music, videos, etc, they're not for apps.
    2. Android 4.x no longer has built-in support for App2sd, but some manufacturers have added support for it. Lenovo hasn't for the A2109.

That person has " paid his due " and earned the title "Guru". So, I have to take that as answer although I have reservation. In another forum under different username, I had earned the same title and I knew a lot less than I know now, and some of my answers back then were inaccurate.

This is the end of this thread.

davidhk129, Jan 8, 2014
  8. davidhk129

LoneWolfMage

David~

I know you said you were going to put this thread to rest but I just thought I would mention something with regard to the app you are trying to get to work as well as the "sd card issue" and also to add for, like you the possible benefit of other Android tablet users.

I too have an android device(actually 2 but on only one that can use an SD card ) Samsung Galaxy rush (phone) specifically and that as well you cannot put apps on the SD card. The only way it CAN be done is by 'rooting and/or unlocking' (which there are a myriad of guides floating around the net for various devices) the device and THEN using an app (like App2SD) to move the apps to the SD card.

The problems and/or concerns that quite a few users have with rooting and unlocking is that it WILL .. I repeat WILL ... wipe your device of any user installed apps and other inputted data, and can POTENTAILLY "brick" your device.

So in good faith if you or any other users are hesitant even the littlest bit of rooting or unlocking your device DON'T do it. I personally have not done this to either of my devices but I HAVE seen it done by others to theirs it seems relatively painless, but I just don't feel comfortable doing to mine. Maybe if/when I get a new phone and before I put anything on it I MAY consider it. My tablet may never do it but since I don't have any contacts or anything of major importance that cannot be replaced it wouldn't be a big deal if I did.

Personally I DO like both the devices I have, the phone and a Nexus 7 (1st generation) Tablet, I have not found any terrible issue with either one. But it will say things that I DONT like is (like you) NOT being able to put apps to the SD card, NOR do I like the fact that the Nexus 7 doesn't have an option to put an SD card INTO the device.

I don't have a lot of apps any way, and I basically only use the Tablet to browse the web at work or out and about at like a coffee shop or somewhere, or when I just don't feel like being in front of my computer at home.

Just my thoughts.
    ~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Jan 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question