Beyond ClearType, How Best to Tweak Font Rendering??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joncr, Sep 2, 2014.

1. joncr

joncr

I need to put Windows back on a ThinkPad W530 after running Linux on it. I've purchased the full retail 8.1 package.

One big reason I took Windows off the machine was disappointment about the font rendering.

So, I'm asking if, beyond ClearType and toggling the font smoothing setting, there are any registry tweaks, third-party add-ons, etc., that enable users to manipulate font rendering characteristics?

Can using non-defaults fonts make a difference?

I don't want to start a discussion about whether or not Windows font rendering is good or bad. I'm looking for ways to adjust it, one way or the other. It's heaviest use will be for reading and writing.

The ThinkPad has a 1920x1080 15.6-inch display. Video is either the onboard Intel HD4000, the discrete Nvidia Quadro K1000M, or Optimus mode. (The ThinkPad allows choosing any of those three options.) Does 8.1 perform well on the Intel? Is the best Intel driver installed by default, or should I go hunting for it? Ditto the Nvidia.

I wonder if 1920x1080 is consider HiDPI by Windows? The DPI works out to 143. Linux, though, allows DPI to be forced to 96, and things look pretty good. (Text is way too large at 143.) Can I force Windows to use a specific DPI?

In a trial install with 8.1, I noticed that it automatically set screen zoom at 125 percent. Why? Moving the slider to 100 percent produced overly small text.

Thanks,

joncr, Sep 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question