Best way to encrypt a drive

Discussion in 'Security' started by persiankid400, May 21, 2013.

1. persiankid400

persiankid400

Hi all!

I was just wondering what the best way to encrypt a drive would be on Win8. Coming from a Mac, I had this software built in, but I cant find it anywhere in Windows. I'm getting an extra HDD for my tower, and wondering what the best way was to encrypt it was.

persiankid400, May 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. persiankid400

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

It is built into Windows 8 as well
    BitLocker Drive Encryption is only available in Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise editions
    SOURCE: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker#1TC=t1
    Pay attention to backing up your recovery key(s)
    So if you are running either of those two versions of Windows 8 you're good. Otherwise you'll need to look into a third party solution, maybe something like TrueCrypt.

Trouble, May 21, 2013
    bassfisher6522 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. persiankid400

ksam911

I would also co-sign for using TrueCrypt. It is great software that provides a lot of user-end value, and did I mention its free? Also if you are into it you can hide hidden volume and a bunch of other cool features. Its a fantastic program to encrypt your files and your devices, really easy to use, also with tips and explaining all the time which might be the best option for you.

ksam911, May 28, 2013
  4. persiankid400

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

TrueCrypt doesn't support GPT drives, unfortunately. So that's a deal-breaker if you're using those.

BitLocker works nicely, but it seems that you can't easily re-lock a drive once you unlock it, without rebooting the system. Also, the name of the volume is still visible, so naming the protected drive something like "Swedish Exercise Videos" means anyone else using the machine will be privy to your fascination with a healthy lifestyle, protected or not.

Core, May 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question