Back to Windows 7...

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by lucasbytegenius, Dec 21, 2012.

1. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Well, I finally made the switch back to Windows 7. There's just too many problems with Windows 8 right now.

Here's the issues I'm having:
    • .NET 4 apps don't work (still don't work on Windows 7, ugh)
    • .NET 3.0 and 2.0 wouldn't ever install
    • Windows update just kept getting stuck for some reason, couldn't update to see if I could get a fix for the .NET problem.
    • Small issue, but text in the titlebars is always black, which is stupid when the theme is a dark color.
    • Graphics issues with the taskbar, I posted another thread about this. Also a small issue but still.
    • Some metro apps just wouldn't launch sometimes, weather for example would get stuck on the loading screen.
    Wish I could fix these issues, especially the .NET 4 issue. I want to be able to use Wunderlist and MetroTwit :(

lucasbytegenius, Dec 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Sometimes it helps to install the .NET apps individually, not in a cluster. I found this out several times working on clients computers. Depends on the hardware sometimes.

It may help to install each fix as separate downloads. Look for the KBxxxxxxxx you need and try it that way.

So the issues you're having as reported in your post; is that for the reinstall of Windows 7 or when you were using Windows 8?

Nibiru2012, Dec 22, 2012
    sleepyH22 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

I don't install them in a cluster, I usually wait a few minutes between installs. The issues start immediately. And I did download a few fixes, but they did the same thing - got stuck while installing.

The .NET issues are still happening in Windows 7. I think .NET 4.5 is the issue, as Wunderlist works fine on 4.0, but MetroTwit requires 4.5.

lucasbytegenius, Dec 23, 2012
  4. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

From what you're describing, it sound now as if you're having hardware issues. Is your CPU properly cooled and TIM adequately applied? You may have a faulty chipset or two.

What brand and model of motherboard is it? Is it home-built or a store purchase? If you have an ECS motherboard then remove it and take a 12 gauge shotgun and put it out of it's misery!! :eek:

When I do driver installs, I always have the extra hard drives disconnected until after I do the main chipset driver installs.

Nibiru2012, Dec 25, 2012
    bassfisher6522 likes this.
  5. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

I might have to consider going back if my current problems continue.

I disabled Defender because it was using more than 50% of my cpu at times. So I got rid and put AVG free on and now that is doing the same thing.

Never really had a problem using either in other operating systems.

jubbly, Jan 5, 2013
  6. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

It must be something to do with your hardware and not the OS. You're using very a very old CPU, I believe you stated it was 7 years old? Right?

I have an i7 2600K Quad Core CPU with Sandy Bridge chipset, 8 GB of DDR3 1600 (2 x 4 GB). Mine coasts very comfortably... I use F-Secure and it hardly is even a drop in the bucket of CPU usage.

What I'm trying to say is that it's probably related to drivers, even if they're properly installed and such.

My system runs at least 20% better on Windows 8 versus Windows 7. Particularly regarding file transfer speeds and over I/O.

Nibiru2012, Jan 5, 2013
  7. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

My CPU is plenty fast enough. It will handle 1080p video while virus scanning etc. and doesn't really go above 20% on that.

It is not a hardware issue. Background anti virus programs have been taking more than 50% of the CPU clocked at 3.8GHz and hyperthreaded.

Talking of file transfer speeds...my hard disk is always near 100% in the task manager on windows 8 and you can hear it thrashing. It was perfectly fine on XP. again, that can't be a hardware issue, it is a decent and pretty new 500GB sata hard drive,

jubbly, Jan 6, 2013
  8. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

It's definitely not an issue with cooling or my chipset. Windows 7 works perfectly fine. And it's a home-built, or custom as I like to refer to them.

lucasbytegenius, Jan 9, 2013
  9. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

I wonder what the figures are for people who have obtained windows 8, either by an upgrade or by buying a new computer and then gone back to windows 7. Pretty high I would imagine.

jubbly, Jan 9, 2013
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  10. lucasbytegenius

bassfisher6522

I think your spot on with that call Nibs.

It's the same with my hardware setup, mainly my mobo, I did manage to find a chipset driver and audio driver and now I'm have 8 Pro installed and so far so good with 8 Pro....

bassfisher6522, Jan 10, 2013
  11. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Well, now today MS stated that there are over 60 million license purchases of Windows 8. To be honest I don't believe too many users of Windows 8 are going back to Windows 7.

I have made my suggestions to the few members here that are having issues and apparently these suggestions are not helping or being attempted.

I know over my many years of computer builds, repairs for myself and others that it is usually always driver issues and/or hardware issues. Some try to make the proverbial "silk purse out of a sow's ear" and refuse to understand or comprehend why their systems are not running as other users systems are. Some are under the mistaken notion that the OS will automatically install the correct drivers for the respective chipsets. Wrong, wrong, and again... wrong!

It is imperative that one installs the latest up-to-date drivers and as important if not more, install the chipset drivers in the proper sequence. On other forums, I have repeated this until I'm blue in the fingers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BassFisher6522... whad up homey?? Glad to see you here at this forum now! Now get out to the backyard and get that pool cleaned up for swimming (JK). :cool:

Nibiru2012, Jan 10, 2013
  12. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

I'm not your average user with problems. I've done pretty much everything I know to do to fix these issues, including installing all the drivers, and other things. These aren't hardware issues I'm experiencing. They're software issues. All of them. So please don't give me crap about drivers, because all the drivers were installed and working right, and in the case of the .NET issues, they're actually doing the same thing on Windows 7 on other computers I have as well.

lucasbytegenius, Jan 10, 2013
  13. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

I agree with you that these are software issues. I have installed all hardware correctly and most of it is totally standard hardware.

Why does my task manager show nearly 100% hard disk use all the time? It isn't just falsely reporting it, I can see the access light flashing and hear it accessing (note: I never even heard disk access on this PC when other OS's were installed)

There is no way that is a hardware issue.

jubbly, Jan 10, 2013
  14. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

What I'm stating is FACT! If you believe it's the OS, that's your prerogative.

The motherboard's BIOS may be out of date too, that will cause issues.

Here's a capture of my Task Manager window:
    [​IMG]

As you can see... I have several apps open and streaming AAC+ music and my usage is way low... very low.

Have you checked your hard drives to see if they're maybe going bad? Have you tried HD Tune Pro to check the drives? There is a free version.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    lucasbytesgenius stated:
    To be truthful I wasn't giving you "crap" about the drivers, I was offering what I know to be true and tested by me and others on this forum. The tone or gist of your reply is not appreciated in the least! I am trying to be helpful in some small way.

Nibiru2012, Jan 11, 2013
  15. lucasbytegenius

clifford (c_c)

Thats because you have no eye candy. Its ashame you and I have such a strong processor (i7-2600K) and Windows 8 has to be so hideous looking.

clifford, Jan 11, 2013
  16. lucasbytegenius

Nibiru2012 Moderator

That's true Cliff! I still wish it had the Aero interface GUI, but at least my system is faster than on Windows 7. I believe they optimized 8 for better SSD response and my file transfer speeds are at
    least 20% faster than on 7.

I sometimes wonder why MS went so plain and pastel in the color scheme. The "Start Page" interface is a pain. So have bypassed it completely.

Have a good one c_c! :cool:

~Nibs

Nibiru2012, Jan 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question