Are you going to use Windows 8 Beta as your main OS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian, Feb 11, 2012.

?

Are you going to use Windows 8 Beta as your main OS

1. Yes - hello Windows 8!

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No, I'm going to dual boot or use a VM

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Not sure yet

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. No, I'm going to stick with my existing OS.

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Ian

Ian Administrator

With the Windows 8 beta getting very close to release, are you going to use this as your main operating system until the RTM arrives?

I'll probably stick with dual booting for now, keeping my existing Windows 7 partition up and running as normal.

Ian, Feb 11, 2012
    Sean Reilly likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I'll use a dual-boot setup since I have a couple of unused hard drives on hand.

Windows 7 will be the main one I use but I'll dabble with Windows 8 and see what's up with it.

Nibiru2012, Feb 11, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

clifford (c_c)

I may check out Windows 8 in a VM first and then later use Windows 8 as a second OS.

clifford, Feb 11, 2012
  4. Ian

BetaMan

If Windows 8 looked good I would probably risk it and install-upgrade from W7, but 8 looks like it's going to be awful or close to awful so I'm just going to dual boot.

BetaMan, Feb 12, 2012
  5. Ian

davehc

Not sure about using it as my main OS. But irt will ceratinly get dual use with Windows 7. As it will have an expiry time, I'll hang around for the RTM or final release to the public. certainly that is where I am heading, though. My use of the available ones up to now has convinced me that (without the metro touch screen) it is certainly as good and stable as Windows 7 - maybe better when finalised.

davehc, Feb 12, 2012
  6. Ian

Sean Reilly

I downloaded and installed the developers version only this week but its set to expire. Metro was a bit wiered to get used to initially so my imediat response was that i wouldnt install as my main operating system. Having played with it for a bit longer I think im going to bite the bullet and give it a go. Fingers crossed!

Sean Reilly, Feb 29, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  7. Ian

Ian Administrator

Welcome aboard Sean :).

I'm really interested to see how the consumer preview has moved on since the developer preview (my first download was corrupt, so trying a 2nd time!). Are you using it on a touchscreen device or just a standard PC/Laptop?

Ian, Feb 29, 2012
  8. Ian

Sean Reilly

Hi Ian, im going to use it on my PC first and keep my laptop in Windows 7 as the goto machine if Windows 8 is a disater on the PC. Will migrate the laptop when ive got more confidence.

Sean Reilly, Feb 29, 2012
  9. Ian

Bladerunner

I will run Windows 8 for testing purposes, but will not upgrade my production OS (Windows 7 x64) until Windows 8 has had some time under its belt and is certainly stable.

Bladerunner, Feb 29, 2012
  10. Ian

Sean Reilly

I wimped out and installed it on a separate hard drive. Have found it to be very stable with no crashes so far. Gratuitous use of the right mouse button and the windows key on the keyboard will catch many people out initially. Absence of the start button isn't an issue once you've learned to navigate around. Couple of things I still haven't figured out - how do I add my music, photos and videos to the metro apps? its stored on an external drive. My PC boots straight into Windows 8 unless I change boot priority in Bios. Is there any way I can create a boot menu insted?

Sean Reilly, Mar 1, 2012
  11. Ian

Papo

So far it has been stable, but I wouldn't use it as the main OS. I'll keep it on a separate partition and go back to Win 7 when the need arises. Mean while I'll use it for every computing need possible and play with it.

Papo, Mar 1, 2012
  12. Ian

Dipsy

I have the beta installed as the only OS on a second computer that is not used for anything important. Won't hurt anything if it crashes or anything else. It has a second hard drive if I need to save anything important. My primary computer has Win7 on it.

Dipsy, Mar 1, 2012
  13. Ian

Octagon

I double boot, but as I expect now it is possible that I will gradually install all the programs in W8 and it will be the main OS.

Octagon, Mar 2, 2012
  14. Ian

davehc

Dual boot so far. It is a Beta after all. It still has to prove to me that it is better than Windows 7. That decision may have to wait until RTM.

davehc, Mar 3, 2012
  15. Ian

Kemical

Like others my first consumer download was corrupt but after a second go everything is running as it should.. I quite like some of the features and having no Start menu I find isn't really an issue. I will most likely make it my default os in time.

Kemical, Mar 3, 2012
  16. Ian

Octagon

I found it more difficult to maintain 2 OSes than to run a backup+upgrade. So, now it is my main OS.

Octagon, Mar 5, 2012
  17. Ian

car1323

I'll probably dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8, provided that I am satisfied with the performance and graphical updates with the new OS.

car1323, May 15, 2012
  18. Ian

Papo

I deleted it from my laptop about a month ago. It's nice, but I didn't notice any advantages over Windows 7. No doubt that it'll be more exciting than Windows 7 on a tablet and that's what I'm aiming for; but my laptop and Win 7 work just fine.

Papo, May 15, 2012
  19. Ian

Dipsy

As stated in a previous post I have the beta ......... er consumer preview loaded on another computer as the only OS. It sets there now pretty much unused as I have found nothing in Win8 to get me excited enough to spend money to upgrade from Win7. It just feels like it was designed primarily for tablet and mobile users and desktop users were thrown in as an after thought. Windows 7 has served me well since I installed the beta release and at the moment I see no reason to upgrade as I have with other versions since Win 3 and DOS.

Dipsy, May 15, 2012
  20. Ian

LosAngelesLover

I duel boot, I can't get used to the Windows Eight Beta, it feels too... separate from the other operating systems Microsoft has brought out previously, but I still use it.

LosAngelesLover, May 31, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question