Are you encrypted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trouble, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

This one slipped right by me.
    It seems that with Windows 8.1, users will be looking at device encryption turned on by default and Microsoft will kindly host your encryption key for you.
    The following information pertains to what it is and how it works and how to turn it off / opt out
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn306081.aspx
    I suspect that, for the most part, this will only impact newer computers that have UEFI BIOS and support the Trusted Platform Module and Secure Boot, etc.,
    Personally I prefer to manage my own encryption and decide for myself what and when to encrypt a particular file or folder

Trouble, Oct 12, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

bassfisher6522

Following your link and it's instructions....I don't see anywhere on mine about encryption. So I'm wondering if this is infact for UEFI firmware and or the newer retail systems shippping with 8.1. I have the old legacy BIOS.

bassfisher6522, Oct 13, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

Sugarhill

I've heard of doing it and why I should, but it's always ended up far over my head, so no I don't believe that I am.

Sugarhill, Oct 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question