Apps do not appear to be updating

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Tim, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim

Everytime I try to access the news app I get a notification telling me to update it . I do the clicks and it appears there are 15 microsoft apps that need updating - but no matter how many times I click update and install - nothing happens ..

Tim, Jun 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Tim

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Are you receiving any type of error reports or dialog boxes? Is there any information in the event viewer that might be telling.
    Try resetting the store cache.
    Hold the Windows Logo Key and strike the "r" key
    in the Run Dialog Box type
    wsreset.exe
    and hit enter or click ok.
    Reboot your computer and test to see if that makes any difference.
    Additionally if you are running a third party security suite, you may want to temporarily uninstall it and get back to Windows Defender plus Windows Firewall. I've heard some strange tales regarding the app store and Windows Firewall and related services not running.
    And give the Store Apps troubleshooter a go and see if that helps. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/cant-run-apps-after-upgrade
    Just some thoughts.

Trouble, Jun 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Tim

davehc

On the Metro screen, and on the "Store" icon, there should be a small number. This indicates the number of installed apps that need updating. Can you see such a figure?
    If so, open the store, and click the message stating there are updates pending. At the bottom, "select all" and apply the updates. See if this takes care of it.

davehc, Jun 8, 2013
  4. Tim

Tim

ok - No third party security software - just the defaults .. tried the wsreset/reboot - did not work .. on the second reply - yes it shows 15 apps to update ..
    I had not 'selected all' before I think I accomplished this by checking each individually .. all had green check upper right corner - when I selected 'install''
    after a few seconds the apps metros displayed disappeared and I was left with white screen with app updates in upper left and 15 in brackets in upper right and the computer seemingly doing nothing .. this time I 'selected all ' and hit update .. behavior is different .. metros did not disappear and getting the 5 green dots scrolling along top to tell me its doing something (though it has been doing that as I type this mail and is still doing it ... and ... 10 mins later still doing same ..

Tim, Jun 10, 2013
  5. Tim

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

You might want to remove the Metro apps entirely and then reinstall the bunch, if you haven't tried that already. Note: I mean uninstalling them, not just taking them off the Start screen.

I swear they should replace those damn dots with a text describing what they're doing. I was trying to search for music in my mom's Lumia the other day and all it would show when I punched in the search string was those dots scrolling along, minute after minute, with no end in sight. At least tell me what the hell you're trying to do so I have somewhere to begin my troubleshooting.

Core, Jun 11, 2013
  6. Tim

davehc

But they do describe, roughly, what they are doing, in the update window... On mine, at least, they all pop up with a pending bar. The bars, in turn, then shorten to nil as the updates are applied.

davehc, Jun 11, 2013
    Core likes this.
  7. Tim

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Ahh, that's good. To be honest, I haven't bothered updating the Metro apps since I don't use any of them. I wonder if that's a security risk; I do keep Microsoft Update current.

My issue with the dots was related to an experience with a Windows Phone (Lumia 800) and the Spotify app, but I think it was a problem with the app itself, the Microsoft-style dots were probably the app's (looking like they did 'cause of SDK) and not the WP system's...

Core, Jun 11, 2013
  8. Tim

Tim

Tim, Jun 12, 2013
  9. Tim

adamsmith

is there a possibility of some malnutrition to the system as when an app is asking to get it updated with no response afterward .. things are worth to be suspected.. may be a full system scan through some apt anti virus program sort it out..

adamsmith, Jun 13, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question