Am I mad? I am thinking of buying another Windows 8 upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jubbly, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jubbly

jubbly

Despite not being particularly impressed with windows 8 and having already bought an upgrade license for £24.99 in October, I am now thinking of buying another one. That deadline of 31st January is looming and I am thinking that due to the ability to clean install, and the fact that the price will rise to about £130 on 1st February, it might be a little investment to buy another one.

Anyone else doing this?

jubbly, Jan 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. jubbly

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Actually that sounds like a bit of excellent planning to me.
    In fact I did just that when the deal first became available so I have a spare just waiting for the need or desire to arise. My wife's windows 7 PC upstairs would seem the likely candidate but I'm afraid in might result in some unnecessary marital strife.

Trouble, Jan 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. jubbly

jubbly

So it isn't just me. That is a relief.:cool:

I think it is is a real bargain. And MS have been very smart with this limited period of a cheap upgrade. Gotta hand it to them they have roped me in twice.

Windows 8 and wives probably don't mix. :D

jubbly, Jan 27, 2013
  4. jubbly

davehc

Nothing wrong with Windows 8, whatever the pundits repeatedly say. It is a move forward, however slight, from Windows 7. It just needs a different approach to make it work for your chosen environment.

P.S. Trouble. Can you pass on any of those Marital skills? I am badly in need!

davehc, Jan 27, 2013
    Nibiru2012 likes this.
  5. jubbly

jubbly

Don't get me wrong. I have no major objections to windows 8. The only real problems I have had is the OS seeming to take an inordinate amount of resources for antivirus and the HDD usage being too high. I do have old hardware though so that could explain it.

I don't mind metro either really, although I still find myself doing most stuff on the desktop.

The first major service pack/windows blue update will be interesting though.

jubbly, Jan 27, 2013
  6. jubbly

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

In Finland the "new computer" upgrade offer still works for anyone. I recently bought an upgrade copy for my dad's ancient laptop for the sweet €15 price tag. All I had to do was put in my information, the name of the store where I supposedly bought a new computer, and when I supposedly did so. It didn't verify anything, just sent me the code via email which gave me half off during the order process. Sure it's not exactly kosher, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Core, Jan 27, 2013
  7. jubbly

jubbly

Wait.....does this work elsewhere? I am in the UK.

I know when I bought a vista laptop and got a free windows 7 upgrade I had to upload a photo of my receipt.

jubbly, Jan 28, 2013
  8. jubbly

jubbly

Just tried it and it asks for the windows 7 product key.

jubbly, Jan 28, 2013
  9. jubbly

It will always ask for the product key when you buy the actual Windows 8 from Microsoft's site. This is just the Windows 8 Upgrade Offer website which gives you a discount code which reduces the price to €15. This site doesn't ask for a key.

Core, Jan 28, 2013
  10. jubbly

jubbly

No I am on the site windowsupgradeoffer.com. The upgrade costs £15 and is for people who have bought a windows 7 PC. It asks for your windows 7 key.

jubbly, Jan 28, 2013
  11. jubbly

jubbly

Well, just checked today and they are now offering the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for £189.99!

I do feel I have a real bargain now getting 2 upgrades, that are clean installable, for £24.99 each.

Who is going to pay £189.99 to upgrade from Vista or 7 to 8??? From xp it might be worthwhile but otherwise that price is ludicrous.

jubbly, Feb 1, 2013
  12. jubbly

They should have kept the price under 30, especially with the lukewarm reception. I remember when they were selling Vista Ultimate for 500 bucks. Clearly nothing has been learned.

Core, Feb 3, 2013
  13. jubbly

davehc

"Well, just checked today and they are now offering the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for £189.99!"

Wow! Where did you see that price - its staggering! Couldn't find it on the site you quoted?

davehc, Feb 3, 2013
  14. jubbly

jubbly

I didn't quote a site. It is here though:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...641900?tduid=7fd2bc52b7918e47e0e04bb3f237312b

Clearly says £189.99 and you must have XP, Vista or 7 first so it is definitely the upgrade version. It is absolute madness. Noone will buy an upgrade at that price.

I am just very happy with my 2 licences for £24.99.

jubbly, Feb 3, 2013
  15. jubbly

jubbly

Yep, it is cynical profiteering on MS's part and it will backfire big time.

For instance, why is the upgrade the same price regardless of which OS you currently have? Surely it should cost more to upgrade vista as that is older than 7 and a it is a bigger jump in functionality. Someone who bought their OS in 2011 has to pay the same to upgrade as someone who bought it in 2006.

jubbly, Feb 3, 2013
  16. jubbly

davehc

"Yep, it is cynical profiteering on MS's part and it will backfire big time."
    I am not disagreeing or agreeing with the comments in this thread, but, there are other considerations.
    No one is ever happy whatever Microsoft does.
    Windows 8 will soon cost exactly the same as Windows 7 did before it. Why not appreciate the months of low-cost upgrades we’ve received?
    Dont overlook Microsoft's 'specials', during last year. The first, "Windows Upgrade" Offer, aimed at those who purchased a PC with an earlier Windows 7 version. You xcould get Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for, about £10.
    Then came the offer for anyone with a PC with Windows XP, Vista, or 7. An upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just £25. The offer expired on schedule,on January 31, 2013.
    I would say, here, that I doubt too many PC users are over interested in Windows 8 Pro, The "extras" are not significant for normal use. But, don't get carried away.I am not defending the high price of Microsoft software, but, The prices were pretty much at the same launch time.
    When I view the price increases of (unrelated ) items, over the same period, this looks fair?

Microsoft offered a special promotional price for Windows 7 Professional three years earlier, called the Windows 7 Family Pack. (Three copies of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for £95), at the time it was praised as a good deal, and was very popular. (This past year’s special promo pricing for Windows 8 Pro was a better deal.
    The past year’s offer for Windows 8 Pro, with more and better features than the Windows 7 Home Premium version of three years ago, costs £4 less per copy.
    My guess is that anyone who wanted to take advantage of the promo on the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade has probably already done so.
    A final point. OEM pricing for Windows 8 is comparably fairer than the full pricing for Windows 7.

P.S. Sorry. Trying to work the currency through two other currencies into pounds. I have removed the figures as the comparison could not be made.. However, the retail price where I live is lower than the MS store price,. I have no explanation for that.

davehc, Feb 3, 2013
  17. jubbly

In Finland, Microsoft is selling the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for € 279,99 (£ 242) on their website. A brick-and-mortal retailer is selling it for € 179,90.

I agree that Microsoft can never please everyone, just as people will always bash Apple even if they have no experience with Apple products. It's an unfortunate side-effect of success.

The reason I think Windows 8 should continue to be priced much lower than those prices is not because it isn't worth a higher price; it IS. For me, it is a much better operating system than Windows 7, and the Start Button fiasco doesn't even enter into it. The thing is, the missing Start Button is a huge deal for a lot of people who are, at best, on the fence about the new Windows version. At least with Windows 7, you could install it without a key and use it in "trial mode" for a while before committing to a purchase; not so with Windows 8, unless you consider the Enterprise Evaluation, which is not for private individuals and cannot be upgraded to a full version without a reformat and clean install.

Windows 8 isn't just a new Windows version for them, it's a whole ecosystem they're trying to get people to adopt, from tablets to smartphones. They're trying to become serious competitors with Google & Android, and Apple & iOS. The reception has so far been lukewarm at best. The extremely low price was what got my dad to finally move away from a torrented Windows 7 to a legit Windows copy. He balked at the lack of a Start button at first, but he got over it after a while when he realized how much faster his computer performed under the new OS.

There are some serious performance enhancements in this version, but all people see and hear is the missing Start button. Pricing 8 the same as 7 or even near it isn't sweetening the deal, because people don't see 8 as being anything but Windows 8 Lite. Why pay more for less?

Of course Microsoft can't just sell their flagship product for € 29 endlessly, like Apple with OS X, because unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't really sell hardware (not desktops or laptops, anyhow, and from the looks of it they're not going to be selling many tablets either). Maybe they could do a rolling release subscription model kind of thing... no more "versions", just a monthly payment system which gets updated constantly.

In the meantime, keep people curious and keep the threshold for trying Windows 8 somewhere reasonable. If I had to pay € 180 for every machine I ran, I'd have either stayed with Apple or done the unmentionable.

Core, Feb 4, 2013
  18. jubbly

jubbly

Well, much as windows is user friendly and compatible with everything, if I found I had to pay in the region of £200 for it then I would use linux. Windows is a good product but to pay £200 just to upgrade a version you have already bought is a travesty IMO.

I think £100 is a much fairer price for an upgrade.

jubbly, Feb 4, 2013
  19. jubbly

Jessi

I think it's an excellent deal.

That being said, do you actually want to use it? Or are you only wanting to buy it because it's such a deal and you're afraid you'll regret not getting it at a cheap price? If you aren't impressed with Windows 8, why do you think you'll continue wanting to use it elsewhere, too?

Jessi, Feb 5, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  20. jubbly

jubbly

I have used them to replace XP on my desktop and vista on my laptop. 8 is better than those 2 operating systems. And XP will not be supported after next year and I think vista will end support in 2018, so it is a bit of future proofing.

jubbly, Feb 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question