Advanced networt adapter settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zaxs, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Zaxs

Zaxs

This is really odd. My laptop always worked fine until about a week ago it suddenly began dropping my network connection like crazy....every 5 or 10 min. and I would have to disconnect and reconnect and it would work again.
    Or, it would display 'limited connection' .

My provider provides download speeds of 170mps and I used to get on avg 50mps or so on my wifi lappy.

My temporary fix that has resolved my network connection from constantly dropping was to change the Advance nic properties for Wireless Mode from 802.1 1b/g to 802.11b. The problem with that, my download speed drops to about 5mps.

I can't figure out what may have changed that all of a sudden my wife connection drops. Appreciate any help

Zaxs, Jun 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Zaxs

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Try going to your laptop manufacturer's website and grabbing what they have as the latest driver for your specific laptop and wifi card. Even if it appears to be the same try just reinstalling it and see if that has any impact on the problem.

Trouble, Jun 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Zaxs

Zaxs

I have a HP Pavilion dv6. I did go to HPs website but they only have Win 7 drivers for this laptop and I'm running Win 8.1

I also reinstalled both wifi and nic drivers.....no go

As I said, it worked fine ...for years....this is all of a sudden.
    Also, why is my speed good (50+ Mps) on 802.11b/g but it frequently disconnects and the speed is bad 5mps but no disconnects on 802.11b>?

I downloaded drivers from several different website, an also here : http://laptopdriversbd.blogspot.ca/2013/05/hp-pavilion-dv6-drivers-for-windows-8.html

But they seem to be the same drivers whatever website I get them from and it's the same problem.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Zaxs, Jun 2, 2014
  4. Zaxs

Shintaro Moderator

If the Windows 7 drivers on the HP site are newer than your current drivers I would give them a go.

Shintaro, Jun 2, 2014
  5. Zaxs

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Diagnosing these type of wireless issues can always be a problem as there are so many varying issues that can impact wireless performance. Anything from environmental issues regarding something as simple as a closed door that is normally open, to a new cordless phone or a neighbor in close proximity who has installed a new and more powerful wifi router, or simply a wireless router radio that is beginning to show its' age and not performing as well as it once did, so make sure to consider any environmental issues.
    However, it may still be a driver issue, so if we knew the specifics as to exactly what wireless card your laptop has installed we may be able to direct you to the device manufacturer as a source for a more compatible driver.
    If you know this information then good, please provide it in your next post. If not then run the system information utility (msinfo32), save a copy to your desktop (file save), zip it up (right click, send to, compressed folder) and attached the zip file to your next post and we'll take a look for our self.

Trouble, Jun 2, 2014
  6. Zaxs

Shintaro Moderator

So how did you go? Did you find the problem?

Shintaro, Jun 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question