Administrator Password

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Claudia Thompson, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Hello,

Recently since I was having a lot of troubles with 'permissions' on my windows 8 computer, like renaming files and photos etc, I finally decided to just activate the Administrator's account and use that instead and I added all my files and folders to that account. I also made it where I could just bypass the password.

The way that I made it where I could bypass the password was that I pressed on the Windows Key and the X key at the same time, which brought up the Command Prompt (Admin). Then whe the little black window came up I typed in "control userpasswords2" and hit the enter key. Then I unticked the box that says "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer". This worked, and ever since then I do not have to use a password.

Howeber, now I need to change this so that anyone who gets on my computer has to type in a username and password. BUT when I do this same identical process and I TICK the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" it still is NOT requiring me to use a password, which it SHOULD be doing. Like right now the box is TICKED. But when I log out and restart the computer it just still bypasses having to type in the username and password. OR it sort of acts as if it is going to make me do that then it just suddenly restarts anyway.

Does anyone know how I can fix this please? Shortly, I am going to have to have more privacy on my computer. My user account is still there. I hope that I don't have to deactivate my Administrators account and use my other normal users account, do I?

Claudia Thompson, Oct 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Claudia Thompson

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

right click the windows logo in the bottom left corner of your screen and choose run
    type
    control userpasswords2
    hit enter
    select the "specific" user account you wish to apply the password restriction to and tick the check box
    Click OK
    Make sure that, that account does infact have a password.
    reboot

Trouble, Oct 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Trouble... that's what I did already in fact it is ticked now, but it isn't making me put in the password at all.

4. Claudia Thompson

does the account actually have a password?

Trouble, Oct 1, 2014
  5. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I thought that it did. How do I check for sure?

6. Claudia Thompson

right click the windows logo in the bottom left corner and choose control panel
    select the "Users" icon
    You should be able to add or change the account password from their.... unless of course it's a microsoft account and then it will most certainly already have a password.

Trouble, Oct 1, 2014
  7. Claudia Thompson

davidhk129

Claudia,
    You activated the built-in administrator account.
    By default, it does NOT have a password. A simple left click or press Enter will get in.
    That is why that "control userpasswords2" had no effect. It never has a password to begin with.

Do as the Moderator told you. Go to User Accounts and give that built-in admin a password.

davidhk129, Oct 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question