Acer Iconia W3 vs Toshiba Satellite

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trent Berlinger, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Trent Berlinger

Trent Berlinger

Here's the thing. I need a new computer, and I'm going back and forth between the tablet and the laptop route. I need it for some heavy word-processing and document-editing. I'm a freelance writer, so I'll be using Microsoft Word a lot. I have been looking at two routes, and would like to know anyone's opinions on which route to go. I want to do something low-cost and don't need a whole lot of processing power.

1. Acer Iconia W3 + Keyboard + USB Adapter - $330 (Give or take)

It's a small 8-inch tablet, but holds the full Windows 8 experience on it. It also comes bundled with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013. So, with this deal, we've got $330 total for the device, keyboard, an adapter to enable USB peripherals. That is a very low price.

Pros
    - Convenience and Portability
    - Microsoft Office bundles into the device

Cons
    - The device is small and could cause some eye-strain when doing heavy editing
    - Very little hard drive space, requiring SD Cards and USB Peripherals for extra space

2. Toshiba C55D + Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 - $420-500 (The price is jumping back and forth on Amazon)

This is a 15-inch laptop with Windows 8, 4 GB of ram, 500 GB Hard Drive, and a full keyboard, including a keypad. It is considerably more expensive than the tablet, but likely more sturdy.

Pros
    - Larger Screen for less eye strain
    - More Hard Drive Space

Cons
    - Does not come bundled with Microsoft Office
    - Larger and less convenient

The question is do I save up and buy the Iconia W3 deal or is it worth the wait to save up longer and buy the laptop? I am conflicted on this and would like some outside opinions.

Trent Berlinger, Aug 31, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Trent Berlinger

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I'd say go with the tablet. It sounds like it will fit your budget better and quicker.
    There are going to be reasons why one is slightly better than the other. But for versatility and portability the tablet is going to win out.
    And if you are terribly worried about the squint screen then use the HDMI out and jack it into your big screen TV or a larger monitor for all those long term big jobs.
    Just make sure you confirm what you are getting for the price. Confirm that it comes with the optional keyboard and confirm that it comes with Office and not Office 90 day Trial Version

Trouble, Aug 31, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Trent Berlinger

Trent Berlinger

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I may still end up going for the laptop. Freelancing isn't my own source of income. I also have a job in IT, but do freelancing as a side job for some extra money. I think that, in the long run, the laptop will last longer than the tablet.

I like the convenience of the tablet, but I think overall I will be happier if I go the extra mile to get the laptop. At least, as far as how long the tech will last me.

Trent Berlinger, Sep 1, 2013
  4. Trent Berlinger

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I'm glad to see that my reverse psychology worked and you've decided on the one I really wanted you to get.

Trouble, Sep 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question