Access Denied

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Railroader, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Railroader

Railroader

Since I upgraded to win 8 Pro from win 7 pro, I now cannot access any drives on my other computers (3), I have sharing turned on all, all computers are running windows 8 now, upgraded from windows 7 pro, they all were working ok before the 8 upgrade. I have turned on sharing, set permissions for full control, change, read. still did not work. What is the solution? Dyn-o-mite? I want to be able to share the complete drive, not just a folder or two, Thanks

Railroader, Nov 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Railroader

twh_bell2

I thnk I may have related issues - I installed win 8 on laptop .. have joined my homegroup, have internet access etc, but I can not get access to the win 8 laptop from the win 7s and vice versa? OK after removing my hard wire into my switch and allowing wireless - I now have access - then re-inserting my cable and disconnecting the wireless - I am still connected - will follow up next time I try wire only ..

twh_bell2, Dec 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Railroader

twh_bell2

A follow - WHY IS THIS SO F%&^&^* PROBLEMATIC IN 2013??????

All my computers and on the same workgroup, they are all part of the same homegroup - everything is shared - AND STILL
    this F%^&*^*&& thing tells me I dont have access to copy a file to it .. WH WHY WHY WHY WHY

twh_bell2, Jan 18, 2013
  4. Railroader

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I think, generally speaking you'll have far fewer problems with this type of issue if all your machines have a common username and password and that common user has the appropriate permissions, both share and ntfs, to the files and folders you wish to manipulate.
    Within folder properties under the sharing tab (for users coming at you from across the network) set everyone full control and cascade it down to sub folders and files. For NTFS permissions under the security tab (for local users on the machine where the file or folder resides) add the username and give it the appropriate permissions.
    Remember on an NTFS volume share and ntfs permissions are combined and the most restrictive always applies. This is also a consideration when it comes to group membership so you need to consider if your user is a member of the "Users" group and or the "Administrators" group and what those particular group permissions are as well. You will likely find it easier if you assign permissions at the group level and unless you need more granular restrictions on a per user basis then granting permissions (ntfs security permissions) at the group level will generally get the job done.
    This may help to explain further hopefully without introducing additional confusion http://www.techexams.net/technotes/70290/permissions.shtml
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Jan 19, 2013
  5. Railroader

twh_bell2

there is a lot in that post and will take a little to digest .. but I use the same user name and password on all machines and the account is the administrator account in all cases also - EXCEPT the new one new Windows 8 box .. which didn't let me create the user account in the same way but seemed to force me to use an email address and password to setup the computer &^(*&((^(*&) .. and of course this is the box that causes the most problems

twh_bell2, Jan 19, 2013
  6. Railroader

Are you be prompted for credentials when you attempt to access a shared resource on the (host or server machine) from the client machine? If so, are you using
    MachineName\Username (the machine name of the host / server and a username with appropriate permissions on the host / server) in the username text box
    And then the appropriate password for that user on that machine? Click remember credentials?
    That should generally work whenever you are using a Microsoft ID to log on to the Windows 8 machine instead of a local account that would normally just support Windows pass through authentication.

Trouble, Jan 19, 2013
  7. Railroader

twh_bell2

normally - no I am not prompted for credentials .. I do remember entering them once before and having access - but now it just tells me I do not have permissions to copy there , etc end of story

twh_bell2, Jan 19, 2013
  8. Railroader

Use the control panel and check the credentials vault, Credential Manager, Windows Credentials, if they are there for the machine you are trying to access, you can click on them, and edit or remove them in case they are corrupt. That may help.

Trouble, Jan 19, 2013
  9. Railroader

nicknaz

Last September. I purchased a Lenovo G500 Ideapad and since then I have not been able to connect to my workgroup when I am away from my home office. At my office, our workgroup shares one laptop using Windows 8 and (2) desktops operating on Windows 7. We have no problem connecting the machines off my Asus router but when I take the laptop out of the office, I cannot connect. With my previous Dell laptop using Windows 7, we had no problem. Yesterday, I could not connect to the
    internet let alone connect to my workgroup. Today, back at the office, no problems with either. When setting up the ASUS
    router the first time. it renamed the network after itself so I renamed all the machines ASUS. Did I create the problem doing that
    and would Windows Defender be able to block connecting to my Workgroup? My issue may be a lack of understanding the network setup. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

nicknaz, Nov 9, 2013
  10. Railroader

Yes.
    Just like all network nodes need a unique IP address, they also need to have a unique NetBIOS name.

Trouble, Nov 9, 2013
  11. Railroader

nicknaz

Please use English instead of computer speak. NetBIOS name?

nicknaz, Nov 10, 2013
  12. Railroader

Trouble, Nov 10, 2013
  13. Railroader

nicknaz

Thank you trouble. The NetBIOS seems to be in order. ASUS Router is the hub but my network name is different.
    There is a Network name and each computer on the network has a unique NetBIOS name. These show up when using
    in the office and connect. It only occurs when I am away. I appreciate your help and the link above was most helpful in
    grasping the NetBIOS concept. Is there anything changed in Windows 8? We never had this problem previously when all the computers operated with Win 7.

nicknaz, Nov 10, 2013
  14. Railroader

No nothing much has changed in Windows 8 with respect to wireless networking or networking in general. If anything Windows 8 seems to be slightly more robust and a bit more forgiving when networking.
    It sounds to me like you may be having an issue in the second environment.
    I'm not sure how you are transporting the machine from one physical environment to the other but physically turning it off when doing so and then back on again might help.
    That way it should go out and find and solicit information (SSID, New DHCP lease (containing new DNS server information, IP address, Gateway, etc.,) Workgroup name(s), security encapsulation requirements for authentication, participate in a master browser election, acquire NetBIOS information to help resolve Computer (friendly names) to IP addresses.... and on and on.

Any number of things can be causing your issue of things working fine in one environment and not working well if at all in another.
    It could be as simple as a firmware upgrade to the router that doesn't seem to want to host the problem machine, or.......
    Assuming that it IS getting proper IP addressing schema from the second router, then maybe a security suite running on the computer(s) in the second broadcast domain that will not support NetBIOS computer browsing without configuring the appropriate trusts. Even some botched or corrupt credentials (wireless or windows).

Try completely restarting the machine when changing from one physical broadcast domain to the other and if the problem persists then you need to start with the basics.
    Open a command prompt and type
    ipconfig /all
    hit enter
    compare the information between the two environments see what or if you are getting something in one that may not be present in the other.
    Then from the same command prompt try pinging other network nodes by IP address (in the case of your router / gateway) and IP address and NetBIOS name in the case of other computer nodes on the networks

Trouble, Nov 10, 2013
  15. Railroader

nicknaz

Trouble: The laptop is completely shut down while I am on the road and powered up when I stay in a hotel room. I amn in Las Vegas
    when I cannot connect to my home network. The ASUS 1750 802.ac Router is brand new and is functioning well while here in the office.
    My office is 30 ft. from the router and has never dropped a connection. When I type command prompt, this is what I see:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Nick>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ESPILaptop1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BE-85-56-EA-58-51
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-85-56-EA-58-51

Wireless LAN adapter ESPINetwork:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-85-56-EA-58-51
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fdd9:21b9:1a81:ef58%21(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.32(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 8, 2013 11:30:38 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 11, 2013 2:35:03 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 498894166
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-6A-47-FA-BC-85-56-EA-58-51

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : coxhn.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8172/8176/8178 PCI-E F
    ast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-89-84-E7-1F-85

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7A-79-19-70-F6-20
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2620:9b::1970:f620(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8aa:b05f:7c10:5556%20(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 25.112.246.32(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2620:9b::1900:1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 402804978
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-6A-47-FA-BC-85-56-EA-58-51

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{EF702A79-451A-408C-8F36-4476DFAA7E9F}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:2cbd:1ac8:9e8a:1e07(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2cbd:1ac8:9e8a:1e07%15(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{70815E42-DB5A-4BCA-8B5C-E9B88487133D}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

C:\Users\Nick>

Please advise if you see anything hinky.
    Thanks,
    NicknAZ

nicknaz, Nov 10, 2013
  16. Railroader

So things are a bit clearer or else I'm even way more confused than before.
    Are you talking about connecting to your home or work network using a third party application like...... TeamViewer, GoToMeeting, LogMeIn, GoToAssist, or a VPN solution of some type??
    While you are staying in a hotel room?

And is it possible that the Hotel's wireless service that they provide does not support anything more than simple network protocols and ports for surfing the web and checking your email?
    And are you attempting to place any third party device or appliance between your computer and the Hotel's wireless service?

Trouble, Nov 10, 2013
  17. Railroader

nicknaz

We have those applications on our computers but generally get to the office based computers through Network connections.The connection was automatic previously but not we have no connection. Since my job requires travel, we connect through a WiFi hot spot on my smartphone or through the hotel internet connection. As I stated, we had no problem connecting through Windows in the past. With the new computer and Windows 8, we cannot. Either there is a set up issue or possible with the new computer. When we connected with the hotel wireless connection in the past, there were no 3rd party devices used. Thanks, again!

nicknaz, Nov 11, 2013
  18. Railroader

What type of internet security suite is the new computer running?

Trouble, Nov 11, 2013
  19. Railroader

nicknaz

Trend Micro Titanium on all three computers/

nicknaz, Nov 11, 2013
  20. Railroader

Yes... while all computers are on the same subnet and members of the same collision domain that would be a normal way of accessing shared resource.
    However, when you go remote (hotel room), regardless of the method used to connect, another layer is likely involved. Either a VPN using tunneling protocols or some type of remote software. Additionally any third party security suite would need to be configured properly to allow and support this type of communication at all end points.

Since the new computer seems to be the point of failure and since a viable and reliable internet connection is the backbone of any such remote connection and you've reported that, at least on occasion you cannot even connect to the internet, I suspect that there is something on the new computer, likely an over zealous third party security suite that may be responsible.

If you are willing to test this, you should probably consider removing Trend Micro Titanium, at least for the short term.
    Use the Programs and Features applet in the control panel to perform a conventional uninstall and follow that up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool found here.
    After the uninstall, check and confirm that both the native Windows Firewall as well as the built in Windows Anti Malware / Anti Virus (Defender) products are turned on for your general protection.
    And then test your ability to work remotely.

Additionally check and confirm that you are in fact using the latest version(s) of any third party software that may be in use to facilitate your remote connection(s).

Trouble, Nov 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question