"A required privilege is not held by the client". What does THAT mean?

SOLVED Discussion in 'Networking' started by Claudia Thompson, May 14, 2014.

1. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I am really starting to hate Windows 8. Now when I try to rename a simple notepad file in my C Drive it tells me, "A required privilege is not held by the client". What is THAT supposed to mean? I am the ONLY ONE who even uses this computer. Its my home computer. Why is it so PARANOID? I am worried I will wake up one day and not even be allowed to look at my own files. This is incredibly frustrating! I just want for it to STOP with this nonsense and let me control my own computer. I dont get it! It says I am the Administrator, right?

I went to Control Panel/User Accounts.
    I clicked on "Change your account type".
    I have uploaded a screenshot of what it shows there.
    It will not let me click on Standard Account.
    It says "You can't change your account type because you have the only administrator account on this PC. You must make
    another user the administrator nefore you can change your account."
    What is that supposed to mean, and should I do it and if yes then HOW do I do it?
    Can someone help me with this PLEASEEEEEE?? I don't need to run malware programs. I just need help on how to configure this Administrator thing so that it stops preventing me from accessing and changing the names to my own files!

Attached Files:

Claudia Thompson, May 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Claudia Thompson

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Yes...
    You do not want to change your account type from administrator to standard user.

Is the "notepad file" in the root of C: ?? Windows 8 is very protective of files in the root of any volume, especially C:
    Where did the file come from and what are its' attributes and does it have a .txt extension?

If it's a text file that you've created they you could try creating a new folder in the root of C:
    Call it My Text Files and move it to there and you should be able to edit it as you see fit.

If it's a system file that you are using notepad to read it then you probably don't want to mess with it.

A description of the file and it's contents might help us help you further.

Trouble, May 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Well that is interesting. I think that you are right. I had the file which had the .txt in the extension in the C Drive, not in a folder. So I have the exact same file also in folder that's in the C Drive called "Notepad Docs". I tried to change the name of that file just now and it worked! So that's interesting, it means I guess that I have to have everything in the C drive inside of folders. It isn't a system file just a regular old Notepad file that I had a grocery shopping list on or whatever.

Hmmmmm, you learn something new every day! I really do appreciate you telling me this, THANK YOU!!!

4. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

And okay then, I will not change my account type to standard user... that is good to know as well.

5. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

While you are here, or if you are still here, I noticed there is a stray notepad document .txt file that is not in any folder on my C Drive. It is titled "Recovery" and I never remember making a file like that at all. I open it and it is absolutely BLANK. I have been afraid to remove it. Should I just leave it there, even though it is blank with nothing on it at all?

6. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

This doesn't make any sense. After I made sure to have a copy of this same Notepad file in my Notepad Folder on the C Drive, I went ahead and DELETED the file that was directly on my C Drive. Why in the world would it not give me permission to RENAME IT, but then it allows me to DELETE it? To me that makes no sense at all. So if Windows is protective of files that are right on the C Drive it would allow someone to come in and delete my files but not change the name of them?

7. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

The reason I asked you complete the malware check in the other thread is because some malware renames certain files.

In regards to the account type, it is recommended that general users not use an account with administrator privileges.

But that is for another time.

Anyway moving on we have no idea where you are talking about on the C Drive. The C Drive contains thousands of files and maybe hundreds of directories.

Do you know how to take a screen shot?
    Can you take a screen shot and post it to the forum?

Shintaro, May 15, 2014
  8. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Well at this point its impossible for me to take an actual screen shot of the way that it was before, since I moved the .txt file into my Notepad folder.

However, I uploaded two screenshots for you. One is showing how it looks basically in my C drive... with the yellow folders and everything else. That's the second screen shot.

The file I had before was just a normal .txt file with regular information I had put on there called GettingReadytoMove.txt

I also did a screen shot showing what its doing when I try to make a copy of that same file that's now in my Notepad folder and I try to put it into my C drive again, it wont let me. To me it just seems absolutely silly.

Attached Files:

Claudia Thompson, May 15, 2014
  9. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Okay now here is my screenshot of the same file that is now moved into my Notepad folder that is IN the C Drive... that same file called GettingReadytoMove.txt

Attached Files:

10. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I forgot to add that it also has in that same Notepad folder a second renamed copy of that same file because I was testing it to see if I could rename it in that folder, which it did let me do. GettingReadytoMove1.txt (I added a 1 at the end of it. It would not allow me to do that when it was just in the C drive, and it wasn't in a folder.

11. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Let me just ask something. When I was getting my computer ready to have it taken to the computer repair place, I put everything onto my External Hard drive for safekeeping because I wanted to make sure that I could be able to put all my stuff back onto my C drive when I got my computer back again. Could that have anything to do with it? I mean that it was once on the G drive, the external drive, and then I put it back onto my C drive again? I think it was something I had saved directed onto my G drive (the external drive) then when I got my computer back I put it onto my C drive and was trying to rename it.

12. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Attached Files:

13. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I noticed their answer was for Windows Vista but I am guessing it would be the same for Windows 8?

But they say log in as Administrator, but if I did that how do I do it? (if it is the right thing for me to do, I mean).

That's what I mean though, a lot of these people on the forums use this computer language and they just seem to assume we know what it means or what to do. Then it says to disable UAC, as if we know what that means? O don't know why they cant just either explain what it means or else at least put a link there you can click on to see what it means. Its frustrating.

14. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Click on the file GettingReadytoMove.txt, the file is highlighted by a blue colour.
    Right click on the file and go to "Properties"
    Click on the "Security" tab
    Click on the "Edit" button.
    You will probably get some type of security prompt, just click yes or ok, which ever it is.
    A new Window opens.
    It will say "Permissions for GettingReadytoMove.txt"
    Click on "Users"\
    Then in the box that say's "Permissions for Users" on the line that says "Full Control" put a tick in the box under the "Allow" column"
    Click OK
    Click ok to exit the Properties.

You should have full control over GettingReadytoMove.txt now.

Let us know how you go.

Shintaro, May 15, 2014
  15. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Okay I did all that and when I try to make a copy of it and put it just back in the C drive which is not inside the notepad folder it gives me the same error message "Error 0x80070522".

Maybe my computer is getting way too attached to me personally and doesn't want me to move or it just doesn't like something I said in the notepad file LOL! Just kidding.

16. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I decided to try a little experiment. I went to my Notepad folder and chose a random txt file and copied it to try to save it to the C drive and I got the same error message. So I thought well, I wonder if its the Notepad folder that's the problem? And so I tried copying another .txt file from a different folder altogether to save it to the C drive and it gives me the same error. I am wondering if when they 'repaired' my computer if they changed everything. I noticed now on the list of administrator and all of that it says "Trusted Installer" at the top ... it looks as though that's who or what is running my computer? I didn't used to have this particular problem before then.

I included a screen shot below in the file attached. This is from when I right click on the C drive then on 'Properties' and 'Advanced'... Notice it says "Trusted Installer".

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  17. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I just now decided to try copying a txt file from one FOLDER to another in the C Drive and I had no problems with that. Apparently it wants me putting everything into folders on my C drive. But it wasn't like that until I got it back from the repair place, so they must've done something to it. I tried calling the place I bought the computer from about something else and they just told me they don't know anything about it, they sent it off to London to get it repaired at the repair place, and they told me to go online and type in my problem and get help for it on a windows or HP forum. So I doubt they will help me with this problem either, they will just tell me the same thing. They apparently messed with the security settings.

18. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I just tried something else too as an experiment. I took one of the txt files that was already on my C drive directly, not in a folder. I copied it and put it into my Notepad folder and it worked. Then I copied the same file inside of my notepad folder and tried to put it outside the folder directly back into the C drive and I get that same permissions error. So apparently it just does not want me sticking anything outside of a folder onto the C drive.

19. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I think that I am just going to leave well enough alone for now. I don't want to make things worse by messing with it. I am afraid of making it where I cant even access my own files. But it just really irks me the way that this Windows 8 treats you like you don't even own your own computer. Geesh, I had my previous computer for 10 years and used it every day for my business and making website templates and so forth. And I was able to take care of it for the most part myself. But Windows 8 acts like we are too stupid to take care of our own files and everything. Like we might mess with something on the C drive or whatever. They treat us like little kids and they are our parents and they get to decide what we have to keep away from. I hate it! And all this "Security" stuff makes no sense anyway because if I can go online and find out how to change things where I can get access to things on my computer then so can anyone else get on my computer and change things so that they can get access to it too. So I don't understand why they do this in the first place. It makes me wonder if its because they really are the ones controlling my own computer or something.

20. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I looked around online today and found out how to log on as the Administrator. I got it straightened out now and I can now move my file to where I want it with no problems. I will have to add some of my programs and such to the Administrator or whatever, but that is okay with me, its worth it to not have this annoying problem any longer. I will try and make this as solved if I can find the thing to do it and I thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it a lot!

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question