A real start menu

Discussion in 'Customization' started by TheCause, Dec 18, 2012.

1. TheCause

TheCause

TheCause, Dec 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. TheCause

davehc

I was testing all the availables some time back. I liked Pokki but would have appreciated a few more customising options. My vote fianlly went to Classic. If you are stuck on old ways, this gets you there.

http://www.classicshell.net/

davehc, Dec 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. TheCause

Smackz

Nice find. I really like the style of it. I'd much rather have this than the default.

Smackz, Dec 20, 2012
  4. TheCause

Odili

Oh, this looks interesting.
    I don't hate the default as much as I thought I would, but I get so nostalgic when I see this. And my hands just ache to have that start button again!

I'm a bit reluctant to use third party programs, since I just got my new laptop :/ If you install this, does it keep your normal start page thingy too? Because I don't want it to go away :)

Odili, Jan 19, 2013
  5. TheCause

TheCause

Yep. Your start page stays there. It is just so much easier to have everything at your fingertips. I like how customizable it is though. It looks really sleek as well.

It is actually one of the first things I install when I reformat or get a new PC. :D

TheCause, Jan 19, 2013
  6. TheCause

Odili

I tried it and my metro page went away :/ It looked okay, but it would be even better if we could keep the normal page.
    I don't know, maybe it's just me, lol.

Odili, Jan 20, 2013
  7. TheCause

Epicfied

I've never even heard of Pokki, but until Windows 8, I never really messed with trying to change something in display (besides my background).
    This is a very nice find. I will probably test it out when I switch to my laptop.
    (Desktop is windows 7...)

Epicfied, Jan 21, 2013
  8. TheCause

TheCause

After you click the new start menu, to the left of the Shut Down box, there is a button with a Windows logo on it. If you hover over it, it gives the tool tip, "Go To Start Screen." Click that button and it should take you to the metro page.

TheCause, Jan 23, 2013
  9. TheCause

Aditya Kulkarni

Do we really want our start button back? :p

I got used to the Windows 8 charm bar so much, that the other day, I was using Windows 7 and found myself going to the right side of the screen to click Start!

The start menu is an innovative theme and I don't really feel like getting away from it.

Aditya Kulkarni, Feb 1, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  10. TheCause

GGovan

I don't really miss the start button anymore, but if anyone is interested, Start8 is a great app to bring back the old Win7 start button.

GGovan, Feb 19, 2013
  11. TheCause

DarkRepulser

Wow! All this time I've been using Start8 to get my old nostalgic Windows start menu, but this "Pokki" tweak looks really interesting. I'm going to try it out. It definitely is better than full screen Windows 8 Metro UI. Thanks for this topic!

DarkRepulser, Feb 23, 2013
  12. TheCause

davehc

Here' are another couple you might find interesting, but you have to pay for them.

Retro
    http://retroui.com/
    and
    Startisback
    http://startisback.com/#download-tab

The first has an option the others do not have - a taskbar on the modern screen

Startisback reproduces, precisely, the Windows 7 start menu.
    Both have an option to bypass the Modern screen.

davehc, Feb 23, 2013
  13. TheCause

DarkRepulser

Great share, especially Retro UI! Always wanted to run Metro apps in a window. I'm already getting rid of Start8 as we speak.

DarkRepulser, Feb 25, 2013
  14. TheCause

GuyBall

Really annoying when you have to install third party software to get your classic start menu interface. I get it, Metro UI is nice and all that, but would it hurt to keep an option for us to turn off the default start menu and restore the classic one? One thing that really annoyed me about Windows 8, to be honest.

GuyBall, Mar 3, 2013
  15. TheCause

davehc

Didn't turn a hair on my head. Since Windows 95, I have always installed my own third party software to improve usage (Paint etc..) classic and startisback take so little time anyway. Startisback, in particular, is a workaround using the original Windows 7 menu, which is hidden deep in the OS. As a result it uses almost nil resources.

davehc, Mar 3, 2013
  16. TheCause

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I have been using Pokki for a while now and like it so far.

I have also been using Windows Tweaker 4.1

Nibiru2012, Mar 4, 2013
  17. TheCause

GuyBall

Well, you can't expect every average user to search about and find the alternatives for something like start menu. And I don''t think this is quite equivalent to improving on paint etc. since paint is perfectly fine for the very basic stuff. Advanced users can get something better. However people who are used to the conventional start menu and like it would have to work around a bit to get the classic menu back. I never said that makes it awful, it's still an annoyance.

GuyBall, Mar 4, 2013
  18. TheCause

davehc

Take a look back at Windows 7 forums, in their earlier stages. I think you will get a surprise at the volume of posts, from individuals wanting the "Classic" third part menu download.
    I do agree with you, that it would have been prudent of Microsoft to have included the old start menu. You probably are aware, and I agree with MS, that (on their own surveys) they came to the conclusion that very few people actually used the start menu. They preferred alternatives such as desktop shortcuts or added toolbars. Maybe a poor excuse from MS, for such a small feature?

davehc, Mar 4, 2013
  19. TheCause

MedicAlert

Aw yes. That's what i have currently installed, but it still bugs me that the devs. had the Start Button already implemented in Windows 8 and failed to bring it out again.

Kinda stupid to get rid of something so iconic in the Windows OS line, tbh.

MedicAlert, Mar 4, 2013
  20. TheCause

DarkRepulser

Just installed Pokki and I love it, but they're advertising their in-built app store a bit too much... and disabling hot corners isn't working fluently either. But it's still a great piece of software!

DarkRepulser, Mar 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question