A new SmartPhone in your future?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Trouble, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Here's a site that may help you get your geek on, with some head to head comparisons of some current options.

Trouble, Jun 5, 2013
    EhJude and Ian like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

Ian Administrator

Very clever site!

I've had the iPhone 4S since it came out and will probably be sticking with it for a few more years - although once it's either broken or out of date, I'll probably switch to android. I'm not too fussed about performance, as I don't do anything particularly taxing - mainly browse the net, make calls and take photos. There are some features of android phones that blow my iPhone out of the water - I can't remember the name of the app, but it was a "conditionals" application that could perform tasks based on criteria (i.e. if I'm connected to wifi at work, silence the phone)... very handy!

Ian, Jun 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

Same here Ian. My LG Nitro p930 is good enough for me for the time being. Especially with all the transitions happening with carriers here in the U.S. Not a lot of good deals left out there on higher end phones.
    Every once in a while, I'll grab and android update or a new Mod, which at least gives me the sense of having a new phone.
    From GB to ICS to JellyBean 4.2.2 and waiting for KLP. With the latest RC4 of Cyanogen.... keeps me entertained at least.

Trouble, Jun 5, 2013
  4. Trouble

airplayne

I have yet to find a practical reason to get a smart phone. Basic cell phones have been just fine for me thus far. Anything I do online is done via computer, and I see no immediate need to suddenly start updating things from a smartphone.

airplayne, Jun 5, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
  5. Trouble

An excellent point, although not necessarily in the spirit of this particular thread. I must admit the exact same frame of mind not really all that long ago, until I realized, in order to keep up with my children and grandchildren I was going to have to surrender voluntarily or be dragged kicking and screaming. I've now more or less embraced the new tech and have a new toy to break and fix.

Trouble, Jun 5, 2013
  6. Trouble

airplayne

Your point is valid, however, one other thing that is standing in my way of pulling the trigger of getting a smartphone (I am slated for an upgrade in August) is the cost of the plans that my provider has that includes data. Budget just can't handle it at the moment. I am seriously considering going the route of one of the providers who do not require a contract, but then I have to pay through the nose for the phone.

airplayne, Jun 5, 2013
  7. Trouble

As I mentioned above, the deals are rapidly disappearing here in the U.S. even switching carriers and signing a new 2 year contract won't get you much of a break.
    And budget constraints are and always should be a top priority, although sometimes driving by a local school I wonder, when I see $300 to $600 dollars worth of tech in everyone's hand.
    Your options are a bit restricted but if you ever get the urge to test the waters, you might want to consider shopping used. Seems we have some type of non-branded cell-phone this or that store on practically every street corner.
    You may be able to pick something up at a fraction of the actual price. If your current device is GSM (has a sim card), you may be able to get one that is unlocked and wireless capable, swap in your sim and still use it as a phone, fore-go upgrading to a data plan, and just do that data bit on your in house wireless network for the time being until your budget relaxes or you decide you were right in the first place and you'll never need or use the darn thing.

Trouble, Jun 5, 2013
  8. Trouble

airplayne

Nope, my provider does not support phones that use sim cards. Never have. So, if I was to switch providers I would definitely have to buy a whole new phone.

Ah well.

airplayne, Jun 5, 2013
  9. Trouble

EhJude

EhJude, Jun 5, 2013
  10. Trouble

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

An interesting site, and a great way to see specific specs on various devices. The scoring seems superfluous to me, but maybe it is useful for someone who hasn't had a smartphone before or is otherwise clueless as to how these devices differ.

I use an iPhone 5 now, I really didn't think I would upgrade for a while, but it became apparent that if I wanted decent money back from my 4S, I should sell it now and get the upgrade over with. I'll admit, part of me wanted to make sure my device would not be left at the aisle in any respect when iOS 7 comes out.

I am really surprised, however, when people say they might switch to an entirely different OS ecosystem based on the hardware specs of a new phone. Like, switching from iOS to Android because of a processor or whatnot. I guess if you just use the stock apps, it makes no difference... In my case I have a few hundred euros invested in OSX and iOS applications, and OmniFocus doesn't even exist for Android, so it would take a lot to get me to even consider switching.

Core, Jun 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question