64Bit browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by davehc, Jan 7, 2013.

1. davehc

davehc

davehc, Jan 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. davehc

Ian Administrator

Ian, Jan 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. davehc

clifford (c_c)

clifford, Jan 7, 2013
  4. davehc

davehc

I don't add any plug ins, I'm afraid, so cant help on that. Which plugin do you think may be a problem - I can try it?

davehc, Jan 7, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  5. davehc

jubbly

I use 64bit internet explorer on my laptop. Seems faster than the 32 bit version. I'll try out this 64-bit Waterfox because in every other regard I hate IE.

jubbly, Jan 7, 2013
  6. davehc

davehc

OK. Found one thing and I will be dumping this browser for the time being. I test Certain products, by going to an online game in Flyordie. IE is using 5 - 8% CPU whilst playing. Waterfox is using over 25%. Not good enough Mozilla?

davehc, Jan 8, 2013
  7. davehc

Ian Administrator

The one that caused a particular problem for me was a proprietary plugin from my NAS to expand the web-admin panel, so it's probably not an easy one to test, but thank you for the offer :).

Ian, Jan 8, 2013
  8. davehc

Kougar Moderator

Well, it's a new year so I guess I'll try out the 64bit version of Opera. I already use a 64bit Java install for Minecraft, and have the 64bit Flash plugin installed. Ian, was your NAS from QNAP? I didn't have a problem remoting into mine from the browser or getting into the settings/admin panels

The only problem so far is re-doing all the settings I had set up, and trying to remember about a million passwords... :confused:

Kougar, Jan 8, 2013
  9. davehc

Ian Administrator

Yep, it's the TS-459 - great little unit :D.

I can use it without plugins and it works fine, but a QKPG for my camera asks for a plugin to allow remote commands/audio streaming.

Ian, Jan 9, 2013
  10. davehc

davehc

For me, it was just a curious exercise in trying a new product.
    I am out in the country, on copper wires, and my Internet speed is quite low. Any browsers I use, 64Bit or 32, IE through Chrome, all have pretty much the same performance. When I am trying them, my consideration, therefore, tends to look at the resource use. Obviously, 64Bit will, at any moment, be using more than 32Bit.

davehc, Jan 9, 2013
  11. davehc

Kougar Moderator

Oh, some fancy plugins yer using then! A 64bit browser will only use 64bit plugins for security reasons, so I'm guessing that'd pretty much nix that ever working for ya, Ian. Great to see another QNAP user though, I have an old TS-409 model. :D

So far I'm enjoying the 64bit version of Opera. Seems to start faster with tabs left open form the previous session.

Sounds like what you need is Opera Turbo. The webpages you request are sent to a dedicated server which then compresses them and then sends the data to your browser. It speeds up page loading time on very slow connections. Firefox doesn't have a version of this yet that I know of, but supposedly you can buy web accelerator software that does the same thing.

Kougar, Jan 9, 2013
  12. davehc

clifford (c_c)

Since you mentioned it in your first post, I decided to switch my 32-bit version to the 64-bit version. Took an hour to find my favorite skin and then I decided I liked another one even more. lol

You mentioned Opera opening up tabs where you left off. Well there is a small problem I have with that. It seems Opera doesn't refresh the page when it opens back up. I still needed to close the tab and reopen it (If I remember correctly refresh didn't work), to show currently posted threads (at least for one of my forums anyway). In the end I set Opera to start with Speed Dial, where I have my most commonly visited sites linked.

clifford, Jan 9, 2013
  13. davehc

Kougar Moderator

Clifford, great to hear from another Opera user! All 2% of us on the web :D

The refresh thing you mention is by design. Starting Opera and having it automatically query all those pages (if you have lots open) could get you temporarily blocked from sites that view it as an attack or spam or something. So I was happy to see it work as it did, but that's just me.

Refreshing the page works fine for me though. If it doesn't for you, I would suggest force reloading the page. (Ctrl+F5, or Shift+F5 are shortcuts listed to do it).

Also, Opera has settings that tell it how often to check if the cached page is outdated. If you go to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced Tab -> History You will see the option to tell it how frequently to poll for an updated page. This setting affects the F5 key, so that may be your problem? I keep it at the 5 minutes mark for documents, 5 hours for images. Forced-refresh will override this setting just like in Firefox.

Kougar, Jan 9, 2013
    clifford likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question