100% HDD Usage

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by nonsiccus, Aug 18, 2013.

1. nonsiccus

nonsiccus

To whomever might be able to help me!

I'm running a Samsung laptop (NP780Z5E to be exact) that has gotten outrageously slow in recent days. Now, I know enough about computers to have done the preliminary stuff like ensuring that my CPU/RAM usage isn't maxed, and that I don't have any obvious malware.

That being said, my HDD is spiking (usually maxed at 100%) which is really making the computer unusable. This will usually occur after about 5 minutes of sitting in Windows... even if idle. The computer becomes unusable after this period.

One thing to note: the computer works fine (minus the drivers that aren't loaded) if I boot to safe mode with networking. Any tips??

nonsiccus, Aug 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. nonsiccus

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

It sounds to me, since the problem doesn't seem to persist while in safemode, that you have too many background processes (services and applications) running during normal boot that do not run in safe mode.
    So you can begin by checking the Startup tab in taskmanager and see what's up there or for a better look see maybe try using Autoruns from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx and supplement that with Process Explorer from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Of course perform the normal TLC using a couple passes of the native defrag utility and also use the native Check Disk Utility for good measure
    From and elevated command prompt type
    chkdsk C: /R
    and hit enter
    answer "Y" for yes when prompted
    you'll get a notification, something about the disk being locked and check disk running on next reboot.
    type exit
    and reboot your computer.
    If you have the stock 1Tb drive be prepared for it to take a long time to run all five stages. Do not interrupt it.

Trouble, Aug 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. nonsiccus

airplayne

Yup, sounds like one or more of your background processes are bogging down your processor. If you are able to, go through the process manager and look for ones that really are not necessary, and you can see which ones are using the most resources, and turn them off. Many laptops come with "bloatware" that uses too many resources, you can remove these without having any adverse affect on your system.

Most likely it is either your security software or utility software, I would start with those.

airplayne, Aug 27, 2013
  4. nonsiccus

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Which malware scanner did you use? I also agree with Trouble, doing a chkdsk might help if, say, the instability is due to a windows error (maybe a corrupt file somewhere) Though I like to use the /f switch as well as the /r switch.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, Sep 11, 2013
  5. nonsiccus

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

IF you do a chkdsk /? you'll likely find that the /R switch implies the /F fix so practically speaking it would just be redundant to use them both.

Trouble, Sep 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question