Win 8 Tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Papo, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Papo

Papo

Should you buy an ARM-based tablet or Intel chip when Windows 8 tablets come out this year? According to this report, and other reports available online, the choice for ARM-based tablets, at least for this year, will be small compare to tablets with the Intel chip. Fewer choices will most likely translate into bigger prices. Also, since this a new OS, there may be issues at first with any tablet, but especially with ARM-based tablets since Windows has always been designed primarily for the x86/x64 chip architecture.

I will for sure get an x86/x64 tablet this year, but will wait for a while to purchase an ARM-based tablet. I like the idea of installing and reinstalling software and play with an Intel chip computer; an ARM-based tablet may take that enjoyment away.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2522...de_very_few_armbased_tablets_report_says.html

Papo, Mar 27, 2012
    1. Advertising

2. Papo

Papo

Papo, Mar 28, 2012
    1. Advertising

3. Papo

Papo

It appears there will be some tablets launched the same day Windows 8 becomes available…sometime in October. Those are great news for the few of us that are itching into getting a Windows 8 tablet. As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I have had my eyes set on ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF202 tablet since it first came as an Android tablet. As a matter of fact, I had ordered one through Amazon but it went out of stock just before it was to be shipped.

Now I found out that the availability issue with the Eee Pad Transformer tablet continues, so I’m not sure if in fact it’ll be available during the October time frame or even before the holidays. But whatever the case, I will be getting a Windows 8 tablet as soon when the OS released.

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=13000A5O5UFG

Papo, Mar 28, 2012
  4. Papo

Papo

I have been trying to run Windows 8 on my Archos 9 tablet to see how well Windows 8 would work on a tablet, but gave up due to frustration. The Archos 9 is slow, whether running Windows XP or Windows 7, and it’s no different with Windows 8. Loading drivers and getting everything to work takes patient …two and a half hours later I had given up on my quest to experience Win 8 on a tablet, as opposed to a notebook.

Anyways, Lenovo has a line of tablets already running Windows 7 and since Widows 8 is compatible with Windows 7, then one can reason that one of these tablets should be a good candidate to test Windows 8. No, I didn’t go out and purchased a Lenovo tablet, but Cisco Cheng, a Lead Analyst of the laptop team at PCMag.com, installed and tested Windows 8 into a Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet.

It appears some of the hardware was not recognized, but apparently Cheng made no effort to install the needed drivers…not sure why, but that’s too bad because I would have like to know how well Windows 8 would handle Windows 7 drivers. I imagine many users with Win 7 tablets would like to know how an upgrade to Windows 8 would feel. Also, a Win 7 tablet “may” cost less than if purchasing a Win 8 tablet and some of us may consider purchasing a Win 7 tablet and upgrade it to Win 8.

Anyways, you can read the whole article here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393329,00.asp

Papo, Mar 29, 2012
  5. Papo

Papo

As I stated on my last post, some of us may consider purchasing a Windows 7 tablet and upgrade it to Windows 8 if the price is right. Below is a link to a good article by Woody Leonhard, a senior editor at Windows Secrets Newsletter and contributor to InfoWorld's Tech Watch blog, concerning upgrade issues.

Additionally, I’m including links to the tablets he mentioned on this article so readers on this forum who are interested on these tablets can get a closer look.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsof...ly-answers-windows-8-hardware-question-189807

HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet PC

Eee Slate EP121

Dell Inspiron Duo Tablet PC…no longer available at Dell website.

ThinkPad X220 Convertible Tablet

Samsung Series 7 slate

Papo, Mar 29, 2012
  6. Papo

Papo

As I searched around for Windows 7 tablets, I was surprised to learn there are so many of them available. The issue seems to be that they are not selling, at least not as many as android tablets. My take is that Windows 7 is not designed for tablet PCs and the OS feels old and boring as compare to Apple OS or even Android.

Microsoft has made a radical change by introducing Windows 8 with its metro style interface. One of the reasons for this move (IMO of course) is to attract this new generation of computer users…the one that are throwing the money on iPads and iPhones. The question is…will it works?

Anyways, below are links to Windows 7 tablets available at Amazon. These tablets, for the most part, should run Windows 8. My advice is, if this is the way some of you may decide to go, is to search around and see if anyone else have already tried Win 8 on one of these tablets. In some cases you may find forums providing advice on drivers and solutions to some of the issues you may run into during the upgrade. Or better yet, go dual-boot and if it works then use Win 8 as the main OS.

1. Skytab S-series Windows 7 Tablet PC with ExoPC UI
    2. Acer Iconia Tab W500-BZ467 10.1-Inch Tablet (Silver)
    3. Gigabyte S1080 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer
    4. ASUS Eee Slate EP121-1A010M 12.1-Inch Tablet PC
    5. Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A02US 11.6-Inch Slate
    6. Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A01US 11.6-Inch Slate 64GB
    7. 10.2" Windows 7 Tablet PC - 1.66GHz Atom N455 Processor
    8. Dell Inspiron Duo Convertible Tablet with Intel Dual Core 1.5GHz
    9. Windows 7 Tablet N455 32gb SSD
    10. 10.1" Windows 7 Tablet PC - 64GB SSD - 1.66GHz Atom N455 Processor
    11. Exopc Slate Customized Windows 7
    12. NAV 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer with Windows 7 Home Premium
    13. iPad Alternatives (1) - 10.1" Windows 7 Tablet PC - 32GB SSD
    14. MSI WindPad 110W 10-Inch Tablet Computer
    15. Acer W500 1280x800 HD 10.1" Multi-Touch Screen Tablet
    16. Lenovo ThinkPad X220
    17. Gigabyte T1028C 10.1 inch Touch Screen Tablet PC
    18. HP Slate 500 Tablet PC Atom Z540 1.86GHz 64GB
    19. 8.9" Windows 7 Tablet PC - 1.66GHz Intel ATOM N450
    20. HEWLETT PACKARD - HP - TM2T TABLET PC

Papo, Mar 31, 2012
  7. Papo

Papo

The number of tablets currently available and the barrage of tablets coming before the end of this year have made it difficult for consumers in deciding which one to purchase. I’m definitely plan to purchase a tablet before the end of this year, but how do I choose? I thought about this during a flight from Georgia to New Hampshire and decided to make a list of “my favored” tablet.

First, it must be a Windows tablet. I have always been a fan of Windows, from the DOS days, to Win 95 and Win 3.1, to today’s Win 7. Sure Windows has had its share of issues. Who can forget Windows Me, Vista and the bombardment of viruses on Win XP? But even with those glitches, the installing, reinstalling, formatting of a hard drive and the help I provided others in solving Windows issue was fun. Let’s also don’t forget the positive turned around of Win XP; from one of the most virus prone OS, to one of the best OS.

Second, the tablet must be able to work and play. I travel a lot and can’t afford to drag a heavy bag across the country. I must travel light and feel comfortable. Windows 8 promises a piece of both worlds (work and play) with its new metro style and the older but more business oriented interface build within the same OS. Will it work? It’s too early to say, but I’m willing to give it a try. I remembered how users hated Vista when it first came out…well, many users still do hate Vista. However, Microsoft fixed the issue by giving people what they wanted on Windows 7. The majority of users accustomed to Win XP slowly gave Win 7 a chance and most probably will never look back. I say, give Windows 8 a chance…it may grow on you.

Third, the tablet should be responsive equal to today’s standard. I don’t mind paying a little bit more if I know that I’ll be satisfied with my computing experience. Just think about it, if you turn your stereo on, do you want to wait for it to warm up, and then wait for the sound to come on and so forth? No…if you want to hear a song, you want to hear it now, not later. We should demand the same from a computer. I don’t want to waste my time waiting for my computer to boot up; the faster the boot up time, the better.

Fourth, the tablet should be durable. That’s an issue that exists today with Android tablets. There are “too” many Android tablets available, ranging in price and quality. Some are built to last, while others are put together with low quality parts that fall apart with little use. My hopes are that won’t be the case with Windows 8 tablets. Microsoft should place a high quality demand on manufactures of Windows 8 tablets. Think Apple; every now and then there may be a glitch with an Apple product, but for the most part their devices are built to last. A Windows 8 tablet should be no different...it should be made to last.

Filth, the tablet must have plenty of connections. I want to connect my digital camera through USB 3.0; my phone and headphone through Bluetooth, connect the tablet to my HDMI TV and add storage space through an SD card. And talking about connectivity, I want the latest in Wi-Fi connection; I don’t want to carry an external-amplified antenna just because the tablet’s built-in antenna is not powerful enough to connect to a hotel network. The technology is here, so let’s use it.

Sixth, the tablet’s battery must last. I’m lucky if I get three hours of battery life from my laptop; just enough to watch a movie, but barely anything else. I’m sure manufactures can do a heck of a lot better.

Finally, the tablet must come with a quad-core processor, two or more gigabytes of RAM and at least a 128GB hard-drive. Quad-core processors have been around for a while now. We know they can lead to a faster computer experience. You add four gig of RAM and that will make for a fast computer. Also, cloud storage is here to stay, so I don’t really see a need for a large hard drive. However, I want to be able to add software, download movies and music files, and so forth without worrying about space. Prices on solid state hard drives have dropped tremendously, there’s no reason why manufactures can add a 128GB or even a 256GB SSD hard drive without sacrificing price.

So those are my requirements for my ideal tablet. I don’t feel they are unreasonable requirements considering how far technology has gone for the last five years. I also think that coming October we’ll see some awesome tablets thanks to Windows 8.

Papo, Apr 2, 2012
  8. Papo

Papo

The goal of Microsoft is to provide Windows 8 on ARM and x86 architecture. Everyone with Microsoft Windows experience can relate to the x86 architecture. Speaking for myself, when I purchase my Windows 8 tablet I want a system that can run all or most of the software I’m currently running and I’m accustomed to. The question seems to be whether or not releasing ARM and X86 systems at the same time will create confusion on consumers.

In my opinion, the answer might be an unequivocally yes. Windows 8 is a radically changed, if not new, OS. It incorporates a new interface as well as the older interface we are most familiar with…in itself that will be an issue for a majority of consumers, especially those running a laptop or desktop machine.

So I can imagine a scenario where a consumer purchased an ARM based tablet and takes it home with the hope of running their latest Windows compatible software they just acquired. Soon they find out the software can’t be installed. Well, I’m thinking that will be a receipt for an angry customer.

To help prevent this confusion, Microsoft has decided that when Windows 8 is first released there will be less than five ARM devices, compare to over 40 Intel computers and tablets. However, to the general consumer, a tablet is a tablet. Most could care less whether it’s an ARM or Intel based tablet because for the most part they don’t know the difference.

How will consumers know whether the Windows 8 tablet they like is an ARM tablet and how will it affect their reason for buying it? I sure don’t know the answer to that, but Microsoft needs to educate consumers on this issue. Microsoft needs an ARM tablet that can compete with the iPad, but can’t afford to upset the consumer or scare them away.

Papo, Apr 2, 2012
  9. Papo

Papo

Maybe this doesn’t have to do much with Windows 8, but it may matter to some users planning to purchase their next tablet. This article from “Amy Gahran, Special to CNN” talks about the size of tablets and the demand for smaller ones. The Kindle Fire, which started the war for smaller tablets, may be upgraded next May or June, according to rumors…that may affect Windows 8 tablets.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/04/tech/mobile/future-tablets/index.html

Papo, Apr 4, 2012
  10. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 4, 2012
  11. Papo

Papo

A few posts back I wrote this:

Here's an article by Mary Jo Foley, ZDNet that backups my statement: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/windows-8-wheres-our-hardware-reimagined/12340

Papo, Apr 5, 2012
  12. Papo

Papo

Should we wait till Q1 2013 to purchase a Windows 8 tablet? Current tablets, especially ASUS Transformer with its quad core processor are supposed to be fast, but Nvidia might be shipping a faster quad core processor. That’ll be music to many ears.

Click link: Nvidia Tegra 4

Papo, Apr 9, 2012
  13. Papo

MichaelAllen

Wow a lot of interesting information here, I am really hoping that the windows 8 tablets hold up to the hype and deliver great products.

MichaelAllen, Apr 11, 2012
  14. Papo

Papo

I sure hope so. Going back to Vista; it was supposed to be the upgrade of the decade, but it turned out to be as bad as Win Me. Now, to be fared, Vista had issues from the start, while Win 8 appears to be solid.

I’m curious to see how the business community, as well as those users that are still using the traditional keyboard and mouse PC will welcome the new interface. As I try the beta, I find the metro style interface too cumbersome for my laptop, or as we refer to in “Lean Manufacturing”…there’s no value added.

IMO, Microsoft should provide the means to lock the traditional desktop interface of Win 8 when it's use on a traditional desktop/laptop.

Papo, Apr 11, 2012
  15. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 13, 2012
  16. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 13, 2012
  17. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 14, 2012
  18. Papo

Papo

According to this report from Digitimes, Microsoft plan is to decrease iPad tablet share market to 50% by 2013. There will be approximately 32 Windows 8 tablets this year by Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Asustek Computer and Toshiba with some tablets will costing around $300.00.

Read more: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120417PD216.html

Papo, Apr 18, 2012
  19. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 20, 2012
  20. Papo

Papo

Here are two good reasons why I, and many other Windows enthusiasts, feel that when it comes to tablets Windows 8 is in the right track for great success. Main two reasons are portability and the cloud. Tablets have the advantage of being lighter and incorporating much longer battery life than a laptop, making them easier to take along for a trip…whether for business or pleasure.

The one disadvantage of the tablets, which is/was lack of storage, has found a friend in cloud computing. Cloud computing has come a long ways, and, IMO, will become the way of the future. Currently, Microsoft SkyDrive offers 25 GB of free personal storage and allows individuals to upload files to the cloud and access them through a Web browser.

You can read more on the future of tablets here: http://blogs.forrester.com/frank_gi...lets_will_become_our_primary_computing_device

Papo, Apr 23, 2012
    1. Advertising