Upgrade later if there is a discount offered to beta users?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Junkdumpster, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Junkdumpster

Junkdumpster

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I'm currently using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and while most desktop programs are having no trouble running, I'm finding that a few system tweaks to the interface and some drivers I try to use are conflicting with metro (ie: they're developed to launch at startup and since I can't launch straight to the desktop, the whole system goes whacky).

Rather than figure out ways around these problems individually, I kind of want to just reinstall Windows 7 (I have all the disks I need and I have everything I care about backed up). However, I remember that some beta testers of Windows 7 got the final release at a discounted price, and I don't want to forfeit this opportunity if it comes around with Windows 8. Is this somethig that people predict might happen, and if so, will my technique below allow me to get this discount?

I'm thinking that as long as I keep the Consumer Preview instillation on my flash drive, I can just reinstall Windows 8 CP and get the discount that way. Will that work, or will support for the discount be revoked if they can detect that someone did this?

Junkdumpster, Apr 16, 2012
    1. Advertising

2. Junkdumpster

davehc

The offer was to invitation-only Windows 7 Technical Beta Program, which would have come to your through connect, not to the 8 million (MS figures - not mine!) people who downloaded the release. However, if you are in the former category, I am certain you will get the free offer.

davehc, Apr 16, 2012
    1. Advertising

3. Junkdumpster

Victor Leigh

I see. So for the rest of us poor peasants, the only way to get the full version of Windows 8 is to pay the full price. I imagine Microsoft will think of some way to kill Windows 8 PE when the full version is launched. So what's the expected price of the full version?

Victor Leigh, Apr 23, 2012
    1. Advertising