Solved Problem with new graphics driver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CoolJohnB, Apr 16, 2012.

1. CoolJohnB

CoolJohnB

I downloaded and installed a new Nvidia graphics driver after which when I booted up, the computer just went to a blank screen. I tried booting into safe mode by holding down Shift+F8 but had no success. In the end I forced a shutdown by holding the power button down when the windows logo appeared, and the little thingy was going round.
    I then restarted and fortunately it went into repair mode and suggested a system restore. Happily this solved the problem! At one stage I thought I was going to have to boot with the win 8 DVD, I am glad though I didn't have to and it all worked out. What a convoluted way of doing it though! Might there be an easier way? If anyone has any suggestions I would be interested.
    CoolJohnB, Apr 16, 2012
    1. Advertising

2. CoolJohnB

davehc

I have had the same problem from the release of the consumer. In my case, I didn't get a blank screen, but had graphics problems. This was, immediately after (any) installation, and a new update was offered and accepted.. This was, admittedly, with a "no longer young" ATI graphics card. I rolled back the driver twice over and on restart my graphics, in all functions, were 100 % OK. I have now adopted the practise of not allowing driver updates, until Windows 8 has had time to mature in the driver circles!
    davehc, Apr 17, 2012
    1. Advertising