Is Ubuntu faster than windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andre, Nov 3, 2012.

1. andre

andre

andre, Nov 3, 2012
    1. Advertising

2. andre

Victor Leigh

I cannot compare Ubuntu directly with Windows 8 since I am not using Ubuntu. However I am using Debian. The reason I am using Debian is that it's faster than Ubuntu. And Windows 8 is as fast as Debian. So I suppose Windows 8 should be faster than Ubuntu.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
    1. Advertising

3. andre

jubbly

On my ancient rig (Celeron D 336. 1GB Ram) I have found that windows 8 is faster than MInt 13, which is of course Ubuntu based.

Bizarrely, Windows 8 seems faster on this machine than XP pro.

jubbly, Nov 4, 2012
  4. andre

Victor Leigh

I think the reason why Windows 8 is faster is simply that it's more efficient in its use of resources. It's basically designed for machines which are less powerful than desktop computers. So it has to be able to function with less resources.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
    lucasbytegenius likes this.
  5. andre

NickJ

I've heard of Ubuntu. Never had any interest in using it though. I know someone who works for them however.

NickJ, Nov 7, 2012
  6. andre

Victor Leigh

Ubuntu is one of the distros of Linux. It is based on Debian which is one of the main operating systems built from the Linux core. Ubuntu shares many applications with Debian but not all Ubuntu-specific applications would work the same way with Debian. So when you use Ubuntu, it is much safer to stick to Ubuntu-specific applications.

Ubuntu is popular because the people behind it, Canonical, is very active in promoting it and they have produced many different versions for many different purposes. For example, there is an Ubuntu version for games, another Ubuntu version for netbooks and another Ubuntu version for education, just to name a few.

Another reason for Ubuntu's popularity is that Ubuntu is designed specifically to make it very easy for Windows users to try out Ubuntu and to migrate to Ubuntu. You can actually use Ubuntu without even making any changes to your hard drive.

Victor Leigh, Nov 8, 2012
  7. andre

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I used Ubuntu until they switched from Gnome to Unity. Then I switched to Mint, which is a great distro, but since Linux doesn't have proper support for my graphics card, I'm not using it right now. Perhaps if I switch to nVidia one day.

Core, Nov 8, 2012
  8. andre

NickJ

Ubuntu won't be able to put a dent in Microsoft's profits though. I don't think anyone will. But people who are anti-microsoft have probably flocked to it. Even I admit, I hate windows sometimes.

NickJ, Nov 8, 2012
  9. andre

Victor Leigh

Agreed. Ubuntu and Microsoft are based on different concepts. Ubuntu works on open source. Microsoft works on opening our wallets.

Anyway, back to the question of whether Ubuntu is really faster than Windows 8. Probably if we strip down Ubuntu to the bare essentials, then it might be faster than Windows 8.

Victor Leigh, Nov 9, 2012
  10. andre

NickJ

Perhaps newer versions of Ubuntu will be faster than Windows 8. Just depends on how fast Ubuntu can crank out it's latest versions and tweak them.

NickJ, Nov 9, 2012
  11. andre

jubbly

The problem with Linux is that it doesn't "just work".

I tried installing Mint on my laptop, guess what.....there was no way of getting the SIS672 graphics chipset to work in it.

I also installed mint on my HTPC under my TV. Works fine but as soon as I need something like sopcast or streamtorrent installed I actually have to start using the command line. For anyone except expert users it is a pain in the arse and that is why I will keep running windows on machines that I use for anything important.

jubbly, Nov 9, 2012
  12. andre

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I think Linux is a terrific operating system/platform. I've used it, and although I never became proficient at it, I loved it. But that was when I still liked tinkering with everything and incorporating a screwdriver in my computing experience. There was great freedom in being able to do most things in the command line. Now I just want something that works, is relatively reliable, and supports multiple platforms/devices seamlessly. Linux no longer provides me with that, but that doesn't make it any less terrific. :)

Core, Nov 9, 2012
  13. andre

lucasbytegenius

I don't think Windows 8 is faster than Ubuntu, but it's pretty darn close on my system. Used to have it installed alongside Windows 7 before the upgrade, then removed it because I really don't use it anymore. It's fun to tinker with and if I had a decent laptop I'd most likely use it instead of Windows, but I'm always using Windows on my desktop for games and other stuff so I don't have a need for Linux.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 12, 2012
  14. andre

NickJ

Laptops are pretty cheap these days. Should invest just in time for Christmas, in a new one.

NickJ, Nov 13, 2012
  15. andre

lucasbytegenius

Would rather not since I don't use it. I'd rather just get a Nexus 7 tablet personally.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 14, 2012
  16. andre

NickJ

Nexus 7 is pretty sweet. Definitely easier to get on a plane with one of those. I always worry about how airport security treats my lappie.

NickJ, Nov 18, 2012
  17. andre

lucasbytegenius

Heard a lot of horrific stories about how airport security treats electronics, makes me not want to ever fly in a plane because of that.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 18, 2012
  18. andre

NickJ

Yeah, I watch them though here at LaGuardia. They tend to be more gentle when they know they're being watched. I guess it's because you can report them word-for-word for damaged merchandise. As opposed to a scenario where you can "claim" something happened but you didn't actually see it. I also noticed that when you watch hard, one or two other people will as well. It's contagious sometimes. Witnesses are always good, just in case.

NickJ, Nov 27, 2012
    1. Advertising